Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pat Metheny trio @ the state theater in falls church, va (with christian mcbride)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by wilser, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Hot Dang!

Just got home from this concert. It was killer. First time seeing him live and got the pleasure of getting to see him with Christian McBride on double bass and Antonio Sanchez on Drums. If they're going to hit a city near you in the tour, I suggest you catch them.

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    You must have had a great time. I haven't seen him in a few years, but I did see him a few times - in small theater settings. He blew me away.

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    This trio hasn't played the UK yet, but I do have a couple of bootleg DVDs - one with Michael Brecker joining them to make a quartet. Wonderful musicianship all round.

Whenever I watch great jazz guitarists like Pat, I always get GAS for an archtop guitar.

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    that is one of my favorite trios! I got to see them when they came to ATL, Christian played all but 2 songs on the Upright.

5. yeah, he had a 4 string bass guitar laying around, but never picked it up. I just wish they didn't play more songs on the second show (it was a two show day) than the one I was at.

These guys are just amazing, most of you probably know Pat and Christian. This was my first time hearing Antonio Sanchez. This guy is amazing, probably one of the best jazz drummers out there right now. Check him out if you can.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah, his back was buggin him for some reason that evening, so he was only picking up the Pensa for only 2 tunes. I think that Bright Sized Life was one of the IIRC.
    I was still living in Boston when the buzz about Antonio was going around... man, that cat is like Horatio Hernandez (well, almost:D ), Danilo Perez was gigging with him as well back then, too.

7. somehow I keep missing the trio...I love Trio99->00, it's arguably the best trio record he's done. He even won a Grammy for '(Go) Get It'.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go see him with Gary Burton :crying: