Pat Metheny's 'Secret Story'

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by peteroberts, Oct 11, 2004.

1. anyone else just love this record?

It is definitely my favorite Pat of my top overall too.

Great songwriting...I get chill bumps when I listen to it.

And, of course, Pat is playing guitar!

Bassists: Charlie Hayden, Pat Metheny, Will Lee, Steve Rodby

I just love 'Always and Forever', 'Finding and Believing', and 'Rain River'. :cool:
  2. he's done a million different things...for example

trio records with people like Bill Stewart, Roy Haynes, Dave Holland, etc.

duo(s) with Charlie Hayden

weird stuff with Ornette Coleman

solo records on his 42 string Pikasso guitar

and, of course, the Pat Metheny Group.

I like his trio recordings (especially Trio 99 -> 00) and early PMG stuff best, other than Secret Story.

I think he is one of the best living American composers, right behind Wayne Shorter.
  3. I saw that tour and it was great. I wish I'd seen the trio live...Pat goes nuts in trio setting.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I saw the SS tour, and it was great. As far as live performances, the Shadows and Light tour was one of my favorites (I've seen maybe 25 or so). The PMG used to play frequently in little bitty bars in VT, can't really beat the club ambiance plus a killer band like that.

For recordings, Song X wins in my book, hands-down. Not really weird at all, by Ornette standards. :cool:
  5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Not to pick nits, but H A D E N.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Steve Rodby is one of the best URB players I've ever heard. I like Pat Metheny's more contemporary stuff with PMG. He also puts out some avantgarde style music that I just can't get into.
  7. the Secret Story concert in Atlanta was just mind-boggling. I've seen Pat several times, and always have a good time!
  8. I was at that show at the Roxy Theater. The power went out about mid-show and Pat invited everyone back the next night.
  9. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA

Seriously, just his style of playing and the people that he plays with.. He makes the guitar talk like no one else.
  10. I dont rememeber that. Did he play 2 nights or something?
  11. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, he came through Atlanta twice on that tour. Once at the beginning and once toward the end. I don't think that he was supposed to play a second show the night the lights went out in Georgia, but they did anyway. I saw all three shows. You were probably at the first show (first time through town) and I think his (Pat's) parents and girlfriend at the time were there too.
  12. Anybody who can listen to Antonia and The Truth Will Always Be back-to-back and not be shaken afterward by the fury needs to check his pulse. What a one-two punch.

That said, Facing West has been flitting in and out of rotation in my mind's radio station the last couple of days, because I've been doing that quite a lot now that the winds are kicking up at night.

Metheny is jazz's answer to Aaron Copland, and one of the few artists whose work I will buy without need to preview it first.
  13. Fulcrum, right on with the SS statements! The Truth Will Always Be sends a chill up my spine.
  14. Bright Size Life is my favorite Metheny CD. Unreal playing and just GOOD music.
  15. I just listened to that yesterday...great record.
  16. You Metheniacs will appreciate this: New PMG album coming out January 11-- one sixty-odd minute piece of music called The Way Up.

Well, I'm stoked.