1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Pat Wilkins Custom VRB Reverse P/J chambered, Birdseye, Hipshot Hardware & Detuner

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by dinodino, May 21, 2016.

1. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    Price:
    Strings:
    For sale is a great Wilkins custom VRB bass in a rare reverse P/J configuration. Many know Pat Wilkins as the guy who does the finish and neck finishing for a lot of great builders like Sadowsky and Lakland, but his basses are great as well! The specs, as far as I can tell (I am not the original owner) are:

-Chambered body (lightweight at 8.14 lbs for an active J bass!)
    -Hipshot US ultralites with a detuner on the E string
    -Hipshot A bridge
    -Beautiful maple birdseye fingerboard and neck with a super tough scarf neck joint that was masterly crafted. 1.5" at the nut
    -Bartolini NTMB preamp with active/passive settings and a push/pull mid pot for tweaking multiple mid frequencies
    -Recessed Dunlop Straploks
    -Wilkins pickups manufactured by Arcane Inc. (renown boutique pickup company - look them up!)

The bass sounds HUGE and the preamp can give a great modern sound, or a pretty traditional thump if you turn down the highs and mids.

For full disclosure, the bass is in good condition but has some player wear:
    -A few tiny dimples on the body paint, but no big dings. Also one tiny paint imperfection at the side of the neck pocket.
    -A chip in the finish on the front of the headstock under the "Wilkins" logo - you can't really see it unless you look for it and does not affect the structural integrity
    -The P pickup is dead silent, but if you start mixing in the J pickup, there is some regular single coil hum, especially if you CRANK up the treble (which I suspect most people don't do). -There is a slight oddity with how the Bartolini preamp is wired. When there is a battery in, the Active sounds great, but in passive mode, the volume is probably only at 10% (even if you turn the trim pot down) of the Active Volume; when the battery is taken out, the Passive volume increases to normal volume.
    -Missing a few screws on the back cover, but these can easily be replaced. Three screws are currently in place to keep the back plate on securely.
    -Some wear on the side of the black finish on the side of the bridge

Comes with Dunlop straploks, a nice white 4" levys strap and a lighweight gator case.

$925+ Fedex shipping from 11375.
    Will consider partial trades for a quality bass uke with cash coming my way (NYC Apartment!)

PM me for questions or offers!

image-jpeg.

image-jpeg.

image-jpeg.

image-jpeg.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  2. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Wow. Pat doesn't get the love he deserves for the basses he builds. Amazing instruments. Wish I had something worth trading.

dinodino likes this.
  3. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    Updating post to show the headstock ding, neck pocket imperfection, the back of the bass and the beautiful birdseye neck!

IMG_0099.JPG IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0102.JPG IMG_0103.JPG IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0105.JPG IMG_0106.JPG

Session1969 likes this.
  4. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Wow, great price!

5. T Bassman

T Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Whoa. This won't last long.....

6. Brian Wright

Brian Wright "Oh, it looks good on you though!"

May 7, 2015
    Houston
    Beautiful

7. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Sweet.

8. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Very, very sweet looking bass. What kind of pickups ?

9. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    Honestly, I am not sure. Pat seems to think they were swapped out at some point, though the last seller told me they were Wilkins custom winds. I will probably pull them out in the next few days to verify

10. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    Came to my senses and now its off the market. Thanks for the offers in the past few days

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  11. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    Back up for sale as I bought a new bass (I can only have one bass at a time in my NYC apt!). I currently do not have a bass box but will ship as soon as I get the box from my new bass

Will also consider partial trades for a bass uke (small enough to hide from my wife!)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    3rdBass likes this.
  12. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    When I had it back in 2009, it had Nordstrands and a Demeter Preamp. Great bass, I just don't agree with Jazz necks

dinodino likes this.
  13. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2007
    HOT AS LAVA

14. brett7276

brett7276 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    pm sent...like to snag it if its still up for grabs.

3rdBass likes this.
  15. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    Sold pending funds

16. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

Smart (and lucky) man. Wish I'd jumped on it sooner.