1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pat Wilkins PJ STUNNING MYRTLE TOP!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by honest abe, Oct 3, 2010.

1. honest abe

honest abe

Mar 18, 2009
    Weslaco TX
    Audio Engineer for Marcos Witt
    Many might not know much about Wilkins Guitars but we've all seen Pat's finish work on American Lakland and Sadowsky instruments. He also is a true luthier and craftsman creating some quality basses and guitars of his own. More info can be had here: http://wilkinsguitars.com/ That said, I'm putting my Pat Wilkins PJ for trade. It is in beautiful condition. It has no major dings or dents with only minor imperfections visible only with extremely close inspection. I'd rate the overall condition of the bass as a 9 out of 10. This bass is completely handmade by master luither and refinisher Pat Wilkins. It has Lindy Fralin PJ pickups in a passive configuration with vol/vol, tone/tone. I'm guessing it weighs around 8.5 lbs. compared to my other basses. It is very lightweight as it has a chambered mahogany body with stunning myrtle top and ebony fretboard on a maple neck. The neck is ultra fast as it is a jazz style very similar in profile to a Lakland Darryl Jones but with rolled edges. The frets have only minor wear and the action can be set ultra low. The zero fret gives all notes an incredible consistency. It sounds amazing! With only the P pickup on it has a vintage P sound with a tad more clarity and focus. The J bridge pickup adds a cut through presence that makes the bass sound funkier than a straight JJ configuration.

For trades I'm only considering 4 or 5 string fretted instruments. I would prefer a straight trade for a bass of similar value. Let me know what you have.

DSC01654.jpg
    DSC01652.jpg
    DSC01650.jpg
    DSC01649.jpg
    DSC01662.jpg
    DSC01665.jpg

2. Dr Funk

Dr Funk "If you ain't appearing then you be disappearing" Gold Supporting Member

Stunning, just stunning and the finish wow! :scowl:

3. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    What is the cash value on this (approximately)?

4. honest abe

honest abe

Mar 18, 2009
    Weslaco TX
    I'd say $1600-$1800...but let me know what you've got. You never know.

5. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    oh wow!!! Pat does excellent work!!! He does 100% of the painting for Lakland US models and a good portion of the painting for Sadowsky etc....

I had him put a quilt top and refin one of my Lakies and that convinced me of his woodworking and luthier skills as well!

this looks steller!

good luck with the sale!

6. jsb22257

jsb22257

Mar 23, 2010
    australia
    Very very beautiful for cnc machine made bass, good luck for the sale!

7. Ronen

Ronen

Feb 9, 2003
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Beautiful, period.
    Nothing's wrong with CNC machine. It does its job better than any human. The later stages of the building process are the critical ones. This bass (as some other high end brands) is a totally hands-on instrument up to the highest level attention to details.
    Good luck with the sell!

8. Bump for a awesome bass...wanna trade ;)

9. fullcircle

fullcircle Live your dreams

Jan 24, 2004
    I owned this bass at one point. I can attest to its greatness. It is a passive bass that has a wide tonal range like an active bass and the Fralins sound awesome. The feel, fit and finish are top notch and Pat is a great guy who stands behind his instruments. This is a great one!

10. honest abe

honest abe

Mar 18, 2009
    Weslaco TX
    Trade deal pending...

11. honest abe

honest abe

Mar 18, 2009
    Weslaco TX
    The trade deal suffered a hiccup and might not happen after all. Let me know if you have any interesting trades. A nice 5 string bass plus cash is high on my list...

12. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Pat is a master and this bass is gorgeous.

13. Great bass. And Abe is a great guy to deal with :)

14. WillieB

WillieB Battling Bass Guitar Bulimia since 1975 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    bump for a gorgeous bass ! I have nothing of equal value :p .... I do have a harley for sale. :O

15. honest abe

honest abe

Mar 18, 2009
    Weslaco TX
    And Gone! The original deal went through. Thanks to all.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021