1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Pat Wilkins PJ VRB reverse bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by brett7276, Apr 22, 2018.

1. brett7276

brett7276 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Price:
    Strings:
    1. Something I have to have has popped up so reluctantly putting my Wilkins reverse P/J configuration bass up for sale to finance it. Pat Wilkins is known as the guy who does the finish and neck finishing for a lot of great builders like Sadowsky and Lakland, but his basses are great as well! The specs, as far as I can tell (I am not the original owner) are:

-Chambered body (lightweight at 8.14 lbs for an active J bass!)
      -Hipshot US ultralites with a detuner on the E string
      -Hipshot A bridge
      -Beautiful maple birdseye fingerboard and neck with a super tough scarf neck joint that was masterly crafted. 1.5" at the nut
      -Bartolini NTMB preamp with active/passive settings and a push/pull mid pot for tweaking multiple mid frequencies
      -Recessed Dunlop Straploks
      -Wilkins pickups

The bass sounds HUGE and the preamp can give a great modern sound, or a pretty traditional thump if you turn down the highs and mids.

For full disclosure, the bass is in good condition but has some player wear:
      -A few tiny dimples on the body paint, but no big dings. Also one tiny paint imperfection at the side of the neck pocket.
      -A chip in the finish on the front of the headstock under the "Wilkins" logo - you can't really see it unless you look for it and does not affect the structural integrity
      -The P pickup is dead silent, but if you start mixing in the J pickup, there is some regular single coil hum, especially if you CRANK up the treble (which I suspect most people don't do). -There is a slight oddity with how the Bartolini preamp is wired. When there is a battery in, the Active sounds great, but in passive mode, the volume is probably only at 10% (even if you turn the trim pot down) of the Active Volume; when the battery is taken out, the Passive volume increases to normal volume.
      -Some wear on the side of the black finish on the side of the bridge
      - asking $1300 shipped PayPal fine

image-jpeg-.

image-jpeg-.

image-jpeg-.

Attached Files:

2. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Now that's a "looker"!

TN WOODMAN and feschyn like this.
  3. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Groovy.

basspraiser and TN WOODMAN like this.
  4. Basspounder

Basspounder Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Good Golly Ms. Molly that is one SSWWEEEETT BASS!!!!:bassist::thumbsup:

basspraiser and TN WOODMAN like this.
  5. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    It's a good one, used to own it.

P1070159.JPG

yodedude2 and TN WOODMAN like this.
  6. Ray H.

Ray H. Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Waterloo, Oregon
    The neck is gorgeous:)

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  7. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    What are your trade interests?

8. I was the one who originally commissioned Pat to build this bass for me a few years back. The build quality is superb and it is an amazing sounding instrument. I just wanted to add one particular note as it may be helpful to those considering it. I took a neck off of a Mike Lull jazz bass and took it to Pat’s shop and had him pattern the neck profile to be exactly the same. While the bass was being built I made a couple of trips to Pats shop to check progress and see how he was doing on shaping the neck and he nailed it. Super comfortable neck to play and was able to get a pretty low setup on it. The birds eye maple on the fingerboard is breathtaking. Pictures don’t really do it justice.

Who ever buys this bass is really in for a treat. GLWTS!