1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Patch Cable failures! Recommendations request.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassheart365, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    Iv'e always loved the quality feel and sound quality of George L's cables. However, everytime I change up my pedal board, and I have a big one, one of my cables stops working and I've got to spend a lot of time (1) hunting down which cable went bad, and (2) cutting it and redoing the assembly. And the last time the failure happened at a gig, and I had to spend my entire break finding the bad one and replacing it with my HOSA pancake spare.
    Is there some trick in assembling George L's cables that I don't know about? After this last experience I'm thinking about going with EBS cables, which are much lower profile that the HOSA "pancake" variety.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Never tried George L’s but I was doing the custom Lava thing for a while. Switched to EBS and haven’t looked back

3. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Never tried George Ls but after the deluxe EBS cables came out a while ago I redid my entire board with them. Working so far :thumbsup:

neuman and arrowsun like this.
  4. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    After trying a variety of solderless kits, I was cured. Any cable I bother to custom make myself will ALWAYS involve solder.

I really liked these Monorail kits from Geistnote, 20 connectors an 10 feet of great cable for $60. Bought a couple over the years at that price. Checked recently and they were asking over $240 for the same kit. Don’t know what happened there, but if you find a Monorail soldered cable kit for a reasonable price, I’ve yet to have one fail.

I have four pedal boards currently, and they are all connected with Monorail and EBS. No failures for me.

5. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass Supporting Member

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Yup, sold a big kit of George L’s and got a huge pile of ebs cables and have not had one failure across 4 boards.

arrowsun, Gearhead17 and jbybj like this.
  6. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
  7. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Just finished removing all my Laval cables this last month. I have like 5 kits that are going to stay in a drawer permanently.

Do yourself a favour, get EBS flat patch cables. The new gold ones re ridiculously smaller than the original ones.

8. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Are you still running MXR ISO's for power with a single, high current 18V feed supply? Curious as to how that's working out.

-Frank

9. They're good. I made the switch to them a while back, but like everything, you have to expect the odd failure.
    Pancake are the best for maintenance though, they're a good size and easy to solder back up when they fail - can't say the same about the EBS one's.

I use a dedicated in & out box on my board, so should someone step on a lead or I pull too hard moving around the stage etc., then I don't wreck my first or last pedal, just the box which I could bypass should I need to. I've found having this set up, and using dual lock, helps me avoid broken patch leads more than anything else.

10. I never trusted a 1/4" patch cable that I didn't make myself, using a soldering iron.

11. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    I am running them with multiple walwarts at the moment. I got distracted and never followed through. Plus, now, I have 7 MXR ISOs now, I think, and 4 DB11units. I don’t know what is going on under there anymore. But the noise floor is amazing now that I got rid of all the lava cables.

420 Bass It, boomertech and DirtyDuke like this.
  12. I run a combination of the old fat plug planet wave solderless and hosa pancakes, alway given me a tight connection and lasted years! However one of the hosa is starting to get a bi funny so thinking of upgrading to the ebs... they sound pretty darn good!

13. 999Brent

999Brent Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I have never had any issue with the mini Lava soldered cables that you make yourself.
    Not much soldering required but it does make them a lot stronger.
    I do have the old Lava solderless as well and did have the odd issue there.
    Now I use them as backups but never needed on yet...

14. Smaller in which way? I‘m using the old ones...so I‘m wondering.

15. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Thinner, narrower, shorter:

373F8B81-8526-48DA-8D13-E2E9834355D8. 18FE074F-F7FF-45B8-B0D4-AD61696D8D57. 369642AC-50F9-460B-A1CD-37C250BE7C69.

420 Bass It and arrowsun like this.
  16. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The EBS cables are great until you use them in a room with a source of electromagnetic interference. They are poorly shielded and using just one in my chain adds a lot of noise when practicing in my room when the dimmer switch is on.

I'm currently using a mixture of Sommer Spirit XS Highflex cables with the odd George L here and there where I need a custom fit. In to have had reliability issues with the George Ls, but at least I can headphone practice with no background noise using these!

17. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I move my pedals around between 2 boards.

One a bit bigger then the other so I'm moving stuff from time to time.

I'm a %100 Tsunami Cables in my chain and I have never had one fail.

loopee likes this.
  18. Very interesting. Thanks for the visuals!

19. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I didn't realise the new ones were even smaller, I'll have to pick one up to test!

20. Where do you buy yours from?