1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Patch Cables for the Bass, Really?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ariaprovinch, Sep 20, 2008.

1. ariaprovinch

ariaprovinch

Sep 20, 2008
    I read that Monster Cables make patch chords specifically for the bass. They are very expensive. I don't want to get them for the hype. Is there such a thing as "bass patch chords"?

I have used everything from radio shack specials to hosa to Guitr Ctr specials. I am currently using a conquest cable, but it will need to be replaced due to wear. I never really gave much thought to cable purchase in the past, but I thought I'd seek some opinions.

I am currently using the Sure pgx guitar system wireless system and sounds great as is. I have added the Boss Me 50B to my set up and will need to buy new cables to complete the hook up. I play the Ibanez SR 500 with the Mark Bass Little Mark II amp connected to one 2x10 and one 1x15 mark bass traveller cabs.

What cables should I get?

2. ding_man

ding_man

Dec 24, 2006
    Celina, OH
    I have a monster cable specifically made for bass and it doesnt sound better, but its so expensive its not worth it at all. It was 50 bucks and it wasnt even that long.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you do a search on "monster", especially over in the Amps forum, you'll see a lot of reasons not to believe their hype or pay their price. You'll also see a lot of recommendations for either making your own cables e.g. out of Canare or Belden cable and Neutrik or Switchcraft plugs (or other similar quality components), or ordering from a company like Bayou Cables or Hotwired who make cables out of those components. Either way you will save money and get a cable that actually performs well, instead of one that just makes a lot of ridiculous hyped claims.

4. ariaprovinch

ariaprovinch

Sep 20, 2008
    Thank you for confirming my theory about the hype. I will check out those companies you mentioned.

5. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
  6. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I buy monster for the superior coating on their longer cables, and their lifetime warranty.

7. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    +10

Another reason to avoid Monster Cables is they use oversized jacks the put excess wear and break sockets on basses and amps. I've had to replace a couple on my basses before learning the source of the problem. Some amp companies like Phil Jones say don't use Monster Cables. I've switched to SpectraFlex cables and very happy.

http://www.spectraflex.com

8. ariaprovinch

ariaprovinch

Sep 20, 2008
    I just ordered two cables from Bayou Cables. Price was less than one (bass guitar) monster cable would have been. I got a good feeling from the website. The proof will be coming down the wire.

Everyone thanks for responding!

9. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    i dunno.... they (monster products) arent inherently *bad*, as a lot of the monster bashers might try to convince you. in fact, i will go out on a limb and say they *are* better than, say, the average house-branded cable or whatever. $40 better though? likewise their speaker cables and hi-fi interconnects. not at all crappy, just not at all special, and not at all worth the end user cost of their (evidently effective!) advertising. it seems like regular old reasonable quality stuff with a fancy jacket and printing.

i play with a guy that has the "jazz guitar" or whatever monster wire. i think it was about $80 or so, but i could be mistaken. to its credit, it hasnt failed yet. but does it *do* anything aside from *work*, like any other decent cable? well, *i* cant hear it.

i am a horizon kinda guy myself--- particularly the ones with the cloth jackets. easier to untangle, but they do quite readily soak up beer and other nasties.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I buy whatever cables are on sale.

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    +1

I have Guitar Center branded patch cables between all my pedals. I think i have a live wire cables (the cheap ones)everywhere else, and they, too, are guaranteed for life.

12. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
  13. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    IMHO that's the only reason to buy one! if you buy one and it breaks they'll give you a new one. simple as, you've just bought the only lead you'll ever need for the rest of your life (save loosing it) so the price is effectively a one off.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You advocating paying more to get several cables, but only one at a time?

I would advocate buying more sensibly priced cables and having a spare or two. Then, in the unlikely event that one fails, your replacement is right at hand and not at the store.

15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I use Monster Cables as a pure matter of economics. Every Guitar Center and Sam Ash replace my well-worn Monster Cables free upon request without question and without a receipt.

Sure, I paid more than a house brand cable, SEVERAL YEARS AGO, but I"ll never have to pay again. I've replaced them for FREE about 5 times now, no questions asked.

I bought my first Monster Cable in 1996. Ask yourselves how much you have spent in cables since then. Now ask youself how much you might pay in the next ten years.

Me, I'll never pay a dime again. Not a bad deal at all.

16. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    The Hosa brand also has a lifetime guaranty.
    A lot cheaper.

Keep your receipt!

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well if you like your Monster, that's cool. But there are a lot cheaper brands that offer lifetime warranties.

18. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'm using mostly CBI's, some Peavey cables and some George L's. I wouldn't spend what Monster wants for it cables... unless they start making them with LED's that pulse in time to my playing and could switch color according to the speed I play.:ninja:

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    At the GCs around here, they have cable bins with unpackaged cable of all types for $10 per cable at their blowout sales. I've gotten a bunch of Monster and Mogami cables that way. Even though I paid only ten bucks, I can still return them for new ones if they break.

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

That's a wife's tale - I, and several others over to HCBF actually measured the barrels of atleast half a dozen or more Monster cables and compared them to the same measurements on Switchcraft and Neutrik 1/4" plugs - arguably considered industry standards... The results were that there wasn't more than .002"-.005" difference between ANY of them... Monster plugs *might* have been over-sized many years ago, but haven't been in a LONG time...

For the record, I own a few Monster cables, but have never went out of my way to buy them, and usually just make my own cables out of Belden or Canare cable, and Switchcraft or Neutrik ends - so I don't have a stake in this either way, but don't see the sense in continuing a wife's tale... I don't think Monster cables are any better than any others - and in some cases, probably not as good - and are definitely over-priced...

- georgestrings