Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

... Patch secrets..... ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dynabass1, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Guys ,
    As a new member have been getting a lot of general help from this site on sound effects , and thanks to everyone who replied to the previous thread . Am using an Alesis Bass FX multi-processor and was looking for some help in creating patches - settings , mixes , etc. It strikes me however that a lot of guys who have used similar bits of kit might already have some 'Patch secrets ..!!'. Whether these can be shared is probably a matter of individual choice , but I for one would be eternally grateful if some buddies copied me with settings / levels / mixes etc that are proven sound effects . Perhaps the Moderators might like to consider whether the Effects forum could be enhanced by a specific section on creating [DIY] Patches . Anybody out there agree ? The TAB and Lesson forums are World Class , probably because of the tremendous generosity of contributors . Would be great to spend a few hours with the multi-processor feeding in other guys patch creations . Could start a patch Library maybe ..............

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I don't have any specifics, since I don't know the unit in question. But here's how I've generally approached using multifx in the past

with multifx, I always have a patch which has my flat sound. This probably has some eq, maybe some compression/limiting. I use that sound as a base, and copy it to a number of other user patches. From there, I make adjustments to get the effect patches I want - e.g. overdrive, distortion, chorus, chorus&delay etc.
    I keep switching between patches to make sure that the relative output levels are the same unless a particular patch needs to be louder than the 'flat' patch.

3. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i also cannot give you specific patch settings, but i guess my only real multi fx tip would be not to use all the different filters/modulations/distortions all at once in an attempt to create an uber-patch. it just ends up sounding terrible usually. so with that in mind pick one patch to be an overdrive patch, play with the settings till you get one that you think you could use. have a flanger, a phaser, a delay etc... it can be ok to mix a couple of effects together like say distortion and delay... but in general you wont use those patches except in special situations. i guess what im trying to say here is patch in moderation.

other than that, like david said, try to get all your patches at the same volume level unless you are aiming to make a boost patch.

4. Many thanks guys . Both of you have been very helpful . By the way , the Alesis unit seems to have a lot to recommend it . The 'experiments' are going pretty well . :bassist:

5. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    no worries. enjoy!