1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

patchouli smells GOOD?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bigfatbass, Aug 16, 2007.

1. I wear it, and obviously like it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I don't wear it, but I enjoy it on others.

18 vote(s)
    30.5%
  3. I don't wear it because it is the stanky.

24 vote(s)
    40.7%
  4. Carrots smell like hot buttered love. Oh yeah.

17 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    I saw this quote in another thread and it struck me as odd. Whenever someone defends patchouli they are
    A) wearing it
    B) never saying it smells good, they always just say they love the smell.

Personally I can't stand the stuff, too many deadheads wore it in lieu of bathing in my world. There are few more tangy-ly pungent smells you may encounter (that don't involve poop) than an unwashed wookie wearing 'chouli.

Without the BO backdrop, it is not particularly offensive, but there are a million other oils, like Egyptian musk, that aren't so sharp and lingering as patchouli.

I'm curious how many of those who don't wear it enjoy the smell of the big P.

2. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I think Patchouli has a bad reputation because of the dirty deadheads. I've never been around any of those folks, so I don't have that association. I really like the smell of it.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yep, hippies smothered in it, yuck! Hate the smell!

4. Patchouli immediately makes me think of unwashed hairy chicks on Dead tour. Me no likey.

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    "Get your patchouli stink outta my store!"

[​IMG]

6. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I like patchouli incense, and its fine on people *when they don't overdo it* and *it is not a hot day*.

Don't bathe in the stuff. Don't wear it when temps will be over 85F. Never use it in lieu of deoderant or a bath. Be kind to your fellow humans! Otherwise, we'll have to kick yo' skanky hippy butt! ;) :ninja: :p :bag:

Cherie ;)

7. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    My niece had her car searched for drugs by the "dog" because her car reeked of it.

this was the explanation for detainment while waiting for a K-9 unit . The cop said
    " potheads use it to cover up the smell"

no drugs found.

8. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    I like it.

But, then again, I used to be a stanky dead-head...

:bag:

9. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    That's an olfactory association I formed back in the sixties: I learned to expect that particular fragrance to be worn by someone very familiar with recreational herbology :cool:

Of course, there may well be a great number of people, especially folks who weren't around back then, for whom no such associations exist, and for whom it is merely a fragrance they enjoy. But when I smell it, I look around expecting to see the chronic being passed from person to person ;)

10. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    +1

I don't wear it, but when I smell it, I have pleasant memories...

(Like the opening guitar passage of China Cat Sunflower):D

11. Man, that stuff stinks. The only people I have ever been around that wear it are stinky hippies. Not that I dislike hippies, I just dislike stinky ones that think paccouli(sp) covers them.

There was this weird dude that used to hang around the bars here who wore it. One time one of my friends gave him a ride somewhere and her car reeked of it for weeks after a 10 minute ride. Disgusting. :spit:

12. Problem no1 with Patchouli, IMO, is that it stays for so long in clothes and fabric...

13. And I was thinking I was the only one.

14. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

just last week i was rumaging through some
    old boxes in the garage .

old concert tickets , a couple of 8-track tapes ,
    some cassettes , books , several letters ,
    a small wood carving , a Mr.Natural statue , paintings ,
    pictures and what-nots ...

can you guess else what i found ?

... yup , an old patchouli bottle .
    still intact with some of the oil in it .
    that bottle hasn't been opened since
    the late '70's ...
    :bag:

both of my parents were sure i was hiding
    the smell of pot when i used it in my room ...
    :ninja:

and , of course , they were right ...
    :D

15. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    grew up in the Haight-Ashbury in S.F. in the 60's, 70's, 80's, must say that I do love the smell:) mmm, sweet sexy hippie woman come ovah heah:hyper:

16. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :D That was the first thing that came into my mind, too.

What a bloody brilliant film that is.

17. ill defend my original post and say again. patchouli smells very good IMO.

18. I have smelt it in an oil burner and thought it was nice. I didn't know that people wear it though, and can imagine it would reek! Where have I been?

19. I don't smoke dope so I have no idea what patchouli smells like.

20. I love the smell, and I quit smokin dope.