1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pathetic B string sound

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chanson, Apr 5, 2009.

1. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

I just got a Stingray 5 out of a trade and I can't seem to find the right setup. When I got the bass, it had fret buzz all over the neck. After I got it set up, it was pretty fine but the B string sounds pathetic. It is very quiet and has absolutely no punch at all. The pickup is pretty flat as well as the EQ. I can't figure out why the B string sounds so weak. I've played MM basses in stores and the B strings never sound this weak. It may be a dumb question, but help me out, I'm really frustrated.

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    have you taken it to a repair guy/luthier?

have you changed the battery?

I have two Stingrays and have played many others. Stingrays have incredible B stringss and very aggressive pickups/electronics.

3. chanson

I did take it in to get set up. I will try changing the battery tomorrow.

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Hopefully that will help.

Keep us posted.

5. chanson

Could it really be that simple?

6. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    What strings are you using?

7. chanson

I just changed the battery and if any sound change occurred, it was minimal.

I believe it was setup by the previous owner with DR High Beams. I was planning on changing the strings because I feel like they might be the problem, not the setup. But I am still open to any other suggestions.

8. Probably a dead string.

9. laneline

laneline Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    North Jersey
    No disrespect to your setup person but did you change the pickup height?
    You can get EB/MM's recommended string height from the pickup on their
    FAQ section on the Music Man site. CS is outstanding I'd give them a call.

10. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Have you tried the bass with several different amp/cab setups? It could simply be your amp.

11. chanson

I've only tried it with one other amp/cab setup and it was basically the same. And the setup person did change the pickup height.

12. chanson

Okay, so the B is a .125
    Could that be the problem? Not enough tension?

13. fixesguitars

fixesguitars

Apr 8, 2009
    thought i'd throw my two cents in for what it's worth.

dmusic148 wrote:
    "dead string." - i would agree with that assessment, provided all the other strings are issue free.

DR strings can be tempermental. i've experienced the wrap coming loose from the core several times. they provide stringing instructions in every box. at least they used to. what they say is to 1) crimp the string at the approximate length you need. 2) wind it on the post. 3) you can then trim the excess string once it is up to pitch.

no other manufacturer requires this sort of routine. at least that i know of. DR strings sound great and last a right smart while when you get a set with no issues. my experience is that they have more "dead" strings right out if the box than most.

i've done repair and restoration of stringed instruments for over fifteen years. i've just about tried every string known to man and woman : )
    call me crazy, but i always go back to D'Addario. they are not very exciting, but you can count on them. their quality control is better than the other guys. that's their bread and butter.

.125 should be cool for the low B. although bigger wouldn't hurt, when using moderation of course! make sure the string seats in the nut all the way down to the slot. make sure to take it to your local tech or luthier like ME.

i hope this has been helpful. it is my first post in this forum. won't be my last. Rock On!
    cheers,
    Mike Gold

14. get a pack or d'addario pro steels. 130 B string.
    my carvin 4 string, when the strings go (really acidic sweat, so they don't last) i can't play the bass, tonally it sucks, not punch not crisp ness and i can't dial anything in worth a damn. my fingers blister up right away too but thats a different issue all together, not that i know what it is!.
    i would change out those strings. and the battery then try it. if that don't work take it to you local music store and play some of their amps

15. Get a new B string, at least .130 gauge and try to preserve as much of the strings length for winding it on the tuning post. The more winds you will have on the post, the more it will press on the nut, which is desired for a crisp B

I would try to adjust the nut after being set on what gauge to use.

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    If you don't live in the stix find some bassist locally who is experienced and competent to check it out and set you straight. Doing this stuff over the internet is so easily trumped by hands-on cluefulness. I'm greatful the internet wasn't yet around when I first started with music for this reason if no other... it's tempting to let a set-up issue or an amp/speaker issue to go unfixed while asking people who can't see or feel the object in question to imagine what isn't easy to describe anyway.

It's the guys who live way out in the middle of nowhere who have it bad.

17. fitzy73

fitzy73

Mar 1, 2008
    i had the same problem with my tobias toby ,i got dr lo riders its now 100% better

18. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    If you have a light touch,a .125 should be enough,however,I prefer a .130 at minimum on a 34" scale bass. My Sterling 5 wear Elixirs with a non tapered .135 B,and it is clear,focused,and punchy as hell. EB sells a 5 string set with a .135.

19. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    On my SR5, I have had the best luck with Sadowsky Blues, DAddario Hard Rockin Steels, Smith Compressors, and my absolute favorite SR5 string - D'Addario Chrome Flats. You'll notice that these are hex core with .128 or .130 tapered B strings except for the Chromes. For flats, I have tried LaBella DTF (tapered), Sadowsky (tapered) and TI's. Although the Chromes are not tapered, they have an amazing B string.

I am ashamed to admit that I have had a lot of different strings on this bass looking for perfect match for my playing. The last time I had a set of Chromes on it, they stayed put for TWO years before I took them off. When I did, I had bought a new five (gas attack). Since the SR5 was not my main 5 string, I experimented again over the course of the last few years to find a new sound to make the Stingray relevant again in my arsenal. I put the Chromes back on and now it's at the top of the heap again. Obviously YMMV.