patitucci ken smith on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by C-5KO, May 20, 2005.

1. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
  2. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Wow. . . the fact that it's an Anthony Jackson co-design is pretty awesome as well. If only it wasn't a maple body I'd buy it in a second.

Oh, and the $12,000 price tag. . . :eek:
  3. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Wow! Thanks for posting that find. I'm a big fan of Patitucci and my main bass is a Smith. Too bad I'm lefty and I don't have 12 Gs laying around.

I always wondered why he switched from Smith to Yamaha and it's curious to me becasue I played a Yamaha TRB5 for many years and replaced it with a Smith BSR (and what a difference). I guess his signature model must kick butt.

Still, even given Patitucci's status, I think that bass is worth around $6-7,000, not $12,000.

Somewhere in Osaka there is a rich Japanese collector drooling and ready to bid! (no disrespect intended).

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:
  4. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    I think 12 grand worth of lessons with Mr. Patitucci would be more valuable.
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Wow, that was first multistringer I ever saw, when I saw the Elektric Band down in Greenwich Village.
  6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I would have to guess $$$. Why does anyone do anything. There aren't many basses I wouldn't play if you paid me.

That sounds cynical, but...
  7. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    .....pricing instruments out of a musicians economical sphere just piles on the contribution 's to the cultural vaccum .....
  8. I think the seller is not being realistic about the price. $12,000? C'mon! That won't make me play any better having Pattitucci's bass. And frankly, instruments are worth more once the player has passed away....not that I want that to happen.

Someone would pick it up for around $7K or $8K, but where could you gig without paranoia of the thing getting damaged after shelling out $12,000? I would rather use that much money for my kids' college!
  9. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    His sig model is verrrrry nice.
    The sound is just as good imo :/
  10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    i'm sure it's a wonderful bass, but I don't it should worth anymore then a regurlar smith.
  11. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
  12. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    lol, 9 year old strings.
  13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    All I know is that it's a great sounding bass. I have that instructional vid where he does a solo on it, and whew- it sings. :)

But for 12K, I'd buy about 12 basses instead.
  14. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    +1, the starting bid price is kinda expensive! I think no one will feel interest the bass with 12,000 price tag, right? By the way, I just want to know you guys perfer John Patitucci's Ken Smith Bass sound or his Yamaha signature bass sound?
  15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002

Patituci, Bill Dickens, and Anthony Jackson were the first three to really bring six-string to the forefront, and they all played Smiths, and now each of them use other brands. I've always wondered if it was because of $$ or if their tastes just changed.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego