Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

patitucci ken smith on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by C-5KO, May 20, 2005.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
  2. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Wow. . . the fact that it's an Anthony Jackson co-design is pretty awesome as well. If only it wasn't a maple body I'd buy it in a second.

Oh, and the $12,000 price tag. . . :eek:

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Wow! Thanks for posting that find. I'm a big fan of Patitucci and my main bass is a Smith. Too bad I'm lefty and I don't have 12 Gs laying around.

I always wondered why he switched from Smith to Yamaha and it's curious to me becasue I played a Yamaha TRB5 for many years and replaced it with a Smith BSR (and what a difference). I guess his signature model must kick butt.

Still, even given Patitucci's status, I think that bass is worth around $6-7,000, not $12,000.

Somewhere in Osaka there is a rich Japanese collector drooling and ready to bid! (no disrespect intended).

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

4. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    I think 12 grand worth of lessons with Mr. Patitucci would be more valuable.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Wow, that was first multistringer I ever saw, when I saw the Elektric Band down in Greenwich Village.

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I would have to guess $$$. Why does anyone do anything. There aren't many basses I wouldn't play if you paid me.

That sounds cynical, but...

7. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    .....pricing instruments out of a musicians economical sphere just piles on the contribution 's to the cultural vaccum .....

8. I think the seller is not being realistic about the price. $12,000? C'mon! That won't make me play any better having Pattitucci's bass. And frankly, instruments are worth more once the player has passed away....not that I want that to happen.

Someone would pick it up for around $7K or $8K, but where could you gig without paranoia of the thing getting damaged after shelling out $12,000? I would rather use that much money for my kids' college!

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    His sig model is verrrrry nice.
    The sound is just as good imo :/

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    i'm sure it's a wonderful bass, but I don't it should worth anymore then a regurlar smith.

11. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
  12. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    lol, 9 year old strings.

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    All I know is that it's a great sounding bass. I have that instructional vid where he does a solo on it, and whew- it sings. :)

But for 12K, I'd buy about 12 basses instead.

14. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    +1, the starting bid price is kinda expensive! I think no one will feel interest the bass with 12,000 price tag, right? By the way, I just want to know you guys perfer John Patitucci's Ken Smith Bass sound or his Yamaha signature bass sound?

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

Patituci, Bill Dickens, and Anthony Jackson were the first three to really bring six-string to the forefront, and they all played Smiths, and now each of them use other brands. I've always wondered if it was because of $$ or if their tastes just changed.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego