Patitucci on a Precision!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by funkifiedsoul, Apr 20, 2021.

1. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Tribute to Paul Jackson, with Chris Potter, gotta love it.

Jhengsman, bobyoung53, alack and 20 others like this.
  2. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    That video was great! It’s so easy to forget how well he grooves on simple bass lines. I have been lucky enough to work with John and some of the other musicians heard in the video a few times doing sound, he is not just a monster musician but a super humble, very nice guy. They all are. And John’s wife is a great cellist.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    bobyoung53, MonetBass, kobass and 3 others like this.
  3. funkifiedsoul

Mar 22, 2007
    Couldn't agree more, re: his musicianship and character.
    Congrats on working with the finest, great memories to have.

Dr. Cheese and lowdownthump like this.
  4. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Thanks, I was in over my head for sure, but learned a ton and everything went ok. He asked me if it was ok if we used his mic on his upright, which was a Neumann, and of course that was ok. The whole time he kept checking in with me to make sure he was giving me what I needed (he was!). That was a great lesson for me in humility and how to treat others. It’s not a mystery why he works constantly and why that work makes so many people smile.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a great tribute because it really captures that Headhunters vibe. Paul Jackson, and especially Paul Jackson and Mike Clark, are nearly impossible to copy. As a great as Pattitucci is, and he is truly one of the greatest ever, he treads lightly on trying to sound too much like Jackson.

ElMon and Joshua like this.
  6. funkifiedsoul

Mar 22, 2007
    I agree Dr. Cheese, John is wise, and Paul Jackson was a unique groove powerhouse.

p.s. check the cool move John makes at exactly 3:30 (start before) and how Chris Potter immediately gently quotes John's line.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    bobyoung53, Eli_Kyiv, ElMon and 3 others like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I will check it out again.

8. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Anybody who's album that's going to be on?

9. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    That sounds so cool. Patitucci sounds good on anything, what a player and a great guy too.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I wish I knew!

11. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    yeah, I was gonna say it's a very oblique reference to Paul Jackson; Pattitucci isn't really doing a great job of copying PJ, it's more like he's making an homage by tangentially referring to something PJ might have played

...once. :)

kobass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  12. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I listen to ‘Thrust’ a lot, and my self-taught, non-pedagogical musician brain hears it as Paul being another percussion instrument playing with, against, inside of Mike Clark’s bizarre drumming.

It’s not the notes/patterns/style that singular players like Paul emit. That can be analyzed/learned in some ways ... it’s that a musician would come up with that stuff in the first place, and execute it so flawlessly on record.

Because of that last part, and this clip exemplifies it, that headspace/approach/combination of players that originated ‘the thing’ is almost impossible to replicate.

I try to get just a smidge of it.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think most Paul Jackson inspired performances end up copying his Precision with rounds tone and playing a few licks that Jackson might have played. The actual Paul Jackson style left the world with Mr. Jackson.

ElMon likes this.
  14. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Having ‘a thing’: so much more difficult/rare than just being proficient at an instrument, which is hard enough for one lifetime.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021