Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Patitucci plays Elton John?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Andy Allen, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was sitting in LA traffic (in the car :smug: ) listening to KJAZ (www.jazzandblues.org), when I detected a hint of Elton John’s song “Benny and the Jets” in the song being played. It sounded really good and I assumed that this was an older track that perhaps had been an influence on Elton’s songwriting/arranging. There was a great, fat bass solo in the middle, which could have been from Peter Washington, perhaps, or even the great RB himself. At the end of the song the DJ announced that it was a new CD from Ted Howe, accompanied by John Patitucci and Joe LaBarbera. This CD, “Elton Exposed,” is entirely made up of Elton John songs, and if I hadn’t heard that track I’d have rolled my eyes and groaned just at the thought. :eyebrow: :scowl:

Info about this CD is at amg here: http://tinyurl.com/7pv6p

I usually expect John Patitucci’s sound to more ‘high-tech,’ but the sound on this track was big, deep and woody – even through my cr**py car speakers. I’m almost tempted to buy this anyway…if I can just get over the Elton John thing… :( :rolleyes:

2. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I guess I'm not surprised to hear someone's doing it with Elton John material.
    When you have great musicians like John and Joe on a project, it can get deep.
    Brian Melvin has been doing that with Beatle music for some time now. (www.brianmelvin.com)
    I like the Beatles' material in a jazz context. It doesn't hurt to have Kikosky on the projects either.