Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

patitucci

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Samie, Dec 13, 2000.

1. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I know this guy, I hear a lot of talk about him, I seen his picture, I now his signature Yamaha model, but I've just realized that I have never really heard him play.

Are there any fans out there that can tell me were I can hear him? maybe you can recomend me CD to buy or a place I can download a song or something... thanks

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    As you posted this in the Double Bass forum, I'm assuming that it's his Double Bass playing that you're interested in - in that case, get 'One More Angel' - it is, IMHO one of the finest acoustic jazz albums of the last 30 years - graet playing, great composing, and really moving.

For his electric playing, I'd suggest either his debut solo album (self titled), or 'Heart Of the Bass', which features a concerto for electric and upright bass - good stuff!

cheers

Steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. I also think, compared to some of his earlier solo albums, that "one more angel" shows immense growth and musicality. It was written after his wife's second miscarriage, hence the title, and it is a very introspective recording.I must also mention his work with Chick Corea's Acoustic Band is some of my favorite music as well.

4. I will second that about Chick Corea's Acoustic Band. Very fun, fluid music. Don't know if I have heard anything Patitucci has played on that I didn't like. He is very ...
    smooth. (But not in that cheesy-crappy-kennyg-way).

5. John also plays on the Bass Day tapes, and has some very good instructional videos that address many different aspects of bass playing these are for bass guitar though.

6. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanks for you replies, originaly I had intented this post to be in the Electric Bass section(I was wondering what DB was:-|, now I know)

Still it has been helpful, I heard about 15 seconds of african blue(pat. plays a double bass). I just wish there was someplace I could download something a little longer so that I can decide if I what to follow this guys school.. I mean, I find jaco stuff all over, solos etc...

7. I have 1 cd with him; "Scetchbook" and I like it. :) He´s a very good bassplayer... :)

anyway, buy his stuff! you won´t regret it. ;)

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Yeah, I also have Scetchbook and I think he´s really cool, great bass player

9. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Patitucci is best known for his electric playing rather than his acoustic, maybe because of the Chick Corea electric band, but I am sure that John recorded at least 4 times more albums on the upright than electric, and you should definetely check 'em out, he is a very progressive bassist and great composer, check out his album "Imprint", or maybe the Chick Corea "Time Warp" one of my favorites, there is a video available for that one, John's sound is really mature these days and his intonation is great, I think people tend to overlook his work a little bit as a Jazz Player, but he is absolutely one of the best.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    He also puts in some stellar and extremely tasteful playing on Lynne Arriale's "A Long Road Home". The arrangements and production on that disc are also top notch.

11. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    John Patittucci is one the top jazz bassists in the world - his solos are clean, melodic, and to the point. He is a bassist who is truly a virtuoso on both the electric and double. Many bass players call themselves "jazz bassists" but in my opinion, most don't come close to John. He was one of my earliest influences, and I love this guy's music!

12. I play with John and I know he teaches at CUNY... you can probably look it up under their website.

13. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Pick up John's record "Sketch Book." It contains alot of the different facets of his talent..... from electic to acoustic.

His acoustic bass solo song "Backwoods" on that album is truly beautilful.

He is a very gifted musician.

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yeah, like those pikers Peter Washington, George Mraz, Michael Moore, Scott Colley, Drew Gress, Steve LaSpina, Anthony Cox, John Clayton, Christian McBride, Lindsey Horner, Jon Hebert, you know, guys like that.

15. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Yeah, not to mention Nicki Parrot, Stanley Clarke, Ray Drummond, David Williams, and a host of others

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yeah, buncha poseurs.

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    ed, is bruce lindfield your mentor ? lol

18. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Funny you should mention Scott Colley, Ed. I had a chance to see him play with Jim Hall and Lewis Nash at the Vanguard this past Sat. To say this was a quiet, low key gig would be an understatement. In many cases it seemed that Jim had has amp turned off, it was that quiet. Scott's playing was, in a word Supportive. Watching him watch and listen to Jim for every subtle nuance was perhaps the best lesson I could have in how a bassist should pay attention to what is going on around him/herself. Big ears, and yes, big eyes. Scott watched Jim's body language...to anticipate any "up the neck" moves Jim might be planning. That sorta thing. His level of intensity and microscopic focus is what impressed me the most.

Once more, I walked out of a club blown away by steller performance.

19. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Oh, I dunno. I have just gotten so weary of hearing these pronouncements of sainthood for cats like JP or Brian (who are very good players) from folks whose entire range of exposure to the whole history of jazz bass is the record (or records) of the cat who they are canonizing.

"I've heard 3 jazz bass players and John Patitucci is the greatest bassist in the history of all time."

Yeah. Right.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Second on the kudos to Scott Colley. It seems like every other time I hear a record where the bassist isn't announced but sounds incredibly tasteful, it turns out to be Scott. I look forward to hearing him play live when I get the chance.