Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

patitucci

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Samie, Dec 13, 2000.

1. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I posted this by mistake on the double bass sectin, sorry

I know this guy, I hear a lot of talk about him, I seen his picture, I now his signature Yamaha model, but I've just realized that I have never really heard him play.

Are there any fans out there that can tell me were I can hear him? maybe you can recomend me CD to buy or a place I can download a song or something... thanks

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Patitucci got his big break as an original member of the Chick Corea Elektric (sic) Band, playing both electric 6-string and acoustic bass with them until the band's demise in the mid-90s. He also recorded a number of primarily electric solo releases for the GRP fuzak label (now part of Universal), most of which I assume are out of print. The only ones which impressed me were his eponymous debut and the Brazilian pop tribute "Mistura Fina". He did, however, help popularize the use of the 6-string bass in fusion and jazz. (His solo and unison lines on the Corea tune "Got a Match" are very impressive.)

Patitucci moved back to his native New York after ending his tenure with Corea, and records now on Concord Jazz. His latest releases, "Imprint," "Now" and "One More Angel" focus more on his double bass playing, so your posting to the DB forum shouldn't be considered a faux pas. He is also a founder of the NY Bass Collective, which runs a teaching program and organizes "NY Bass Day". These days, he seems to be everywhere. To see his CV, search for his name on http://www.allmusic.com.

A large number of people find him technically proficient but compositionally dull; I have to agree. His own compositions usually degenerate into endless 32nd note noodling, but when he's playing on other people's projects, he shows admirable restraint.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    While in the Elektric Band, he also played in Corea's Akoustic Band. Additionally, Patitucci played on quite a few sessions(Was Not Was, Nirvana...I think I heard "Heart Shaped Box" was JP's bass). Too, The GRP All-Star Big Band has some nice playing.
    I like both of his last two releases...NOW w/ Bill Stewart on drums & the more recent IMPRINT(a quasi-Latin affair w/ Danilo Perez, Horacio Hernandez, etc). In fact, JP is also on Danilo Perez' CENTRAL AVENUE cd...pretty happenin', IMO.
    GOT MY MENTAL, a Steve Khan cd(DeJohnette on cans)is another of my personal favorites.

Compositionally? I like him...I'm not talking about the "32nd note noodlings", I'm talking changes & the heads.
    Tunes like "Crash Test Dummies", "Vaya Con Dios", "Spaceships", "Trane", etc...I dig 'em, what can I say?
    JP is able to handle R&B, Funk, Bop, Swing & Latin, etc. He should only keep getting better & better.

4. I love Patitucci's work. He is also one of the coolest people I have had the honor of meeting. You can get his music at (www.cdnow.com). He has also done some great instructional videos. My personal favorite cd of his is called Another World.
    I agree with Christophers' point that he is technically proficient. However I wouldnt go so far as to say that his compositions are dull :-(
    Than again, I love Victor Wooten. Seen him live on over 20 different occasions, as well as playing with him. Not to mention buying all his recordings, and figuring out alot of them by ear. I would have to say that he is a great "showman/entertainer" but I don't consider him a great composer.

[Edited by Zonplayer on 12-13-2000 at 03:30 PM]