Patrice Caratini

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Wil Davis, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Just viewed the "Stephane Grappelli in New Orleans" DVD which features, amongst others, Patrice Caratini (bass), who I'd never heard of before. His tone and technique are quite something, and is spotlighted in "Armando's Rhumba", and also a particularly spectacular solo in "Sweet Georgia Brown". I've started hunting around for recordings by M. Caratini, but they seem to be pretty sparse (at least on this side of the pond) - anyone else come across this chap?

- Wil
  2. Yes Wil,
    I am also familiar with Patrice Caratini, I think I may have the same video as you ... I recorded this session about 10 years back when it came on Australian Television.It has Grappelli / Caratini / Martin Taylor on Guitar and a second Guitarist (name escapes me). But YES Caratini certainly installed some nice underlay for the Quartet and when he went for a solo....certainly caught my attention.In fact I just might go hunting around for that Video tonight for another look!
    As far as other recordings, I have not seen any other work from this player and.... out of the 50 or more jazz reference books that I have in my libary....He DOES not even rate a mention! (SHAME)

Mick Power
  3. Is Patrice Russian?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
  4. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    No, he's got really solid time. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.