Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Patricia Barber, A Fortnight in France

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sargebaker, Dec 29, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    AMAZING ALBUM! got it for Xmas along with Alain Caron 5, Call me Al and Best of Uzeb. But this Patricia Barber Live, A Fortnight in France is possibly my fave! (Very Different style)

The Upright bass tone is monstrous and his lines are amazing. Theres alot of ambiance guitar thats very free and the piano.. well I haven't payed much attention yet but it sounds great! and the drums well, they're drums (I can't really judge) And she has the voice of an angel!

Honestly, GO PICK THIS ALBUM UP! If nobody has ever heard of her, this is a great album and jazz group to discover!

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've seen her on TV a few times and loved her band and enjoyed her piano, but I just can not get used to her voice. Grates on me...I don't know why! I'm sorry! :( Otherwise she's very enjoyable.

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I dunno, there's somethign about it i LOVE, granted there was a few songs that made me :meh: a little. But don't you agree that MIchel Arnapol's (Bassist) tone is massive? I remmeber the song he performed arco and it just left me speachless. Her and Brad Meldhau (sp?) are probably some of my fave's at the moment in terms of modernish jazz stuff.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Definitely. I really loved both his sound AND his solos when I saw her perform on JazzBox in the summer.