Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Patriotic or Idiotic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by belair57, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Patriotic

27 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Idiotic

27 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. I've been wanting to get a new pickguard for my MM sterling just to make it look a little different. So in light of what happened Sept. 11 and all the patriotism that's been going on with all the flags I decided to get one with an American flag design on it. So whaddya think, does it look good or not?

Oh yeah, do you notice anything else odd about my bass?

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    ok, i like the idea of getting a patriotic pickguard, i just don't like the look of that pick guard on that bass

P.S. im not really sure, that a poll is ness. but thats just my opinion

3. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I wouldn't say it's "idiotic" but I also don't find it particularly attractive. If you're playing on the Elks Lodge/VFW/Good Ol' Boys circuit, I'd say it'd go over like gangbusters! As far as your other question, maybe it's the lighting but that looks like a flat/matte black finish. Didn't know they came that way...Or is it the Straplocks? :p

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Not at all idiotic, but in the particular case of the Stingray, it looks bad. It's like an egg shaped flag. :(

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Nice idea, bad application.

Who was the guy on Hee-Haw with the flag guitar? Buck Owens!!! That's it.

There was another guy, something Parr, who had a stars and stripes Gibson Les Paul.

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Like the idea, not crazy about the execution.

But screw what everyone else thinks (including me).

If you like it, put it on.

7. yeah, I really don't give a s**t what everyone else thinks. I was just wondering.

8. Nope it's not black. This picture should give you a better idea of the color. Yeah, it's the straplocks. I had them left over from my Alembic so I just put em on the sterling.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Unlike most of the respondees here, I like it. Looks very nice.

10. Thank you, that's what all of my friends said too. Out of 26 people, only my sister didn't like it just based on looks. Once again "to each his own."

11. I thought so too.

12. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's uhh....."different". But very fitting for the time. I'd use it. At least for a while.

Dave

13. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    It does have a cool flow with against the darker color but I think it would work beter against white. But keep it on if your feeling patriotic. Who cares what others think? Hell I go shirtless onstage with eyeliner and lipstick on stage with my bass up against my chest running around playing metal. I look like an idiot! So I doubt you can come close to looking that bad with it. :D

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I never liked the looks of MusicMen from the beginning, and this, IMHO, doesn't exactly make it look better! :p

But as long as I don't have to wear it, it's not a problem to me and none of my damn business anyway. ;)

15. I think it's patriotic. I want to get a pickguard in the cross of Saint George (English Flag) but they all seem to be the Union Flag (British Flag) which I just don't like.

16. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    be funny if you played a bunch of rage songs on it.

17. I wouldn't say its idiotic, its just not my thing.

18. It would look a lot better if the pick guard was LARGER. Like, say, the pick guard off the Stingray 5 string. It would look much better that way.

But the idea is cool. Play with it!!:)

Rock on
    Eric

19. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I like it. Be American, dont worry about what others think!

20. extra cheesy!! i hate it. but if you dig it, go for it by all means. i'm sure there are those who think my bass looks goofy.