1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pattitucci last night in Boston

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by anonymous02282011, Mar 6, 2008.

1. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    He was at the Regattabar playing acoustic and electric basses with sax (john ellis) and drums (marcus gilmore). Very serious playing done by all parties. JP was running an AMT to his aguilar amp and 12" cab -- i think he was running a Realist to the house PA.

I was sitting in the back of the room most of the night, but when a table cleared up right in front i grabbed it for the last three tunes. What a difference! Man, the folks at the Regattabar gotta get their sound system happening, b/c what was coming through the PA was bunk -- bass wasn't loud enough and the things were just poorly defined all around. If i hadn't moved up front it would've been kind of a dissapointing show. The electric bass through the house was actually worse than his DB. ugh.

Although he's not one of my top fav's, but JP was def laying it down, played some killer solos came across as a humble and likable guy. I was really impressed with John Ellis and Marcus Gilmore (a bass player's dream drummer!) as I wasn't familiar with those guys. Nice little trio. Check em out when they come to your hood.

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Unfortunately the DB is one of the least understood understood instruments by sound guys. I've heard lots of top notch players have less than great tone when you get further from the stage.

I think Patitucci had some of the most beautiful and lyrical solos out there though. Oh, and his tone!!! He has quickly ascended my list of favorites.

3. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    In concerts past, I've seen him with what looked like a Prescott (rounded bottom corners, dark finish). Last night he was playing a different instrument, which to me was not as enjoyable a sound.

None the less, the MUSIC was, at moments, inspiring and thoughtful. Marcus Gilmore was "minding the store" big time. Just playing good old fashioned drums, with a deep pocket, staying out of the way and playing ever so tastefully.

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I thought he usually played a Pollman.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yeah, it's a Pollman, it just has Busetto corners. But he's got other basses.

John Ellis is SERIOUSLY bad, that's B A D, jim.

6. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    fo shizzle.

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    The original poster is right,the regatta bar is terrible. It's not the sound guys fault,It's the room combined with the crap PA.

Aj

8. billmac

billmac

Aug 4, 2003
    MA
    Try going to the Regattabar alone and you can often get a seat near the front. I bought my ticket for the JP show at 7pm and just came back at about 7:25pm was seated very near the front - to the left side of the room. Makes a very big difference if you are near the front in that room. Also if you are about half way back or further, the lighting is awful and does not help with the ambiance.

The string height on John`s (new) upright bass looked pretty high. Sounded very acoustic and natural from 12 feet away. Great versatile player and sounds amazing whatever situation he plays in.

9. I saw him last year (Jan 07) at IAJE in NYC, with Adam Rogers and Antonio Sanchez. He's never been one of my 'all-time faves" but this show was quite impressive. Great acoustic (unamplified) tone. I sneaked into the hall and caught his rehearsal/soundcheck... sat right next to his wife. Antonio showed up up about 5 minutes before the show, read through a few tricky passages, then proceeded to sight-read the whole show. He killed it. (saw him w/ Metheny & McBride in Oct 05, same deal- AS is anbelievable musician)

I'm using his etude book with my students. It's got a lot of great ideas, plus fingering charts for all scales for DB (simandl fingerings) an EB (4 fingers).

10. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Used to play the Regattabar often...the sound is less than desirable, but the audience was always very nice.