Pattitucci recordings??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Da_Niet, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Metron wrote:
    Why just electric? Johns skill on the acoustic is second to none and IMO his electric stuff is secondary on his musical palette. Check out Now (w/John Scofield) and Communion. For acoustic stuff that is...

Well, I know that his skill is flawless on acoustic. No surprise there. I want to check out his electric side, to catch his nuances, and truthfully pick out things here and there that I can learn to play. The fact is, I am a new and eager, quick-learning electric bass player. I can't afford an upright(nor do I have the space for it), so it's not that easy for me to relate to in the immediate sense.

3. Australia release. They also worked together on Ricky Peterson's Night Watch Album

If you are a fan, you'll like both these albums!

;) Treena

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    :eek: My word! Is it just me or does Robben Ford look uncannily like Jaco in that picture??!!

5. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I see what your saying. I look at it this way though... whatever someone plays on electric can be played on acoustic and vice versa (except for arco stuff that is) Why avoid the acoustic stuff? Check it out and find some of it you might be able to play on electric. The only difference as a listener is the tone color. Just a suggestion! :)

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Metron-
    I with you 100%.
    IMHO, it would be 'best' to learn walking/swing from the many great acoustic players out there.
    There are also some great Funk/R&B figures being played on URB(Dave Holland, Chris McBride, Scott Colley, Ben Allison, etc)that translate very well when played on an electric bass.

Drummers/percussionists are another great source of inspiration/information. Disect, say, a Clyde Stubblefield rhythm & add your own notes...instant groove!
    ;)

That Robben Ford & The Blue Line album mentioned by Tree is a nice recording....Roscoe Beck & Tommy Brechtlein are happenin'.

7. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Metron wrote:
    I see what your saying. I look at it this way though... whatever someone plays on electric can be played on acoustic and vice versa (except for arco stuff that is) Why avoid the acoustic stuff? Check it out and find some of it you might be able to play on electric. The only difference as a listener is the tone color. Just a suggestion!

Oh! Totally! I whole-heartedly agree. Please, folks, don't get the idea that I'm "avoid"ing and eschew the acoustic stuff that JP has put out. That's all I've heard of his.......and I dig it. I'm just sayin' that I'd like to listen to his good electric recordings(which I don't have any) and for which I was initially inquir-ing about. If Gary Peacock or Scott Lafaro, or Charlie Haden or Steve Swallow have any recordings where they play electric......DUDE! I'm there, and I need to hear it!!!!!! But, since we KNOW that John Patittucci DOES both(and very well), right now I'm more inclined to hear that side of his which he hasn't done recently: electric.

So, keep it comin' and thanks for the tips, everyone.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You should know I did...
    ;)

Question for the sooper-trivia Gurus:
    Did Patitucci play on either of these tunes-
    "Heart-Shaped Box"-Nirvana
    "Walk The Dinosaur"-Was(Not Was)

I have What Up, Dog by Was(Not Was)...Patitucci is listed in the credits(along with Marcus Miller, IIRC).
    Somewhere I read JP ghosted on some Nirvana tracks. "Heart-Shaped Box" doesn't sound or feel like Nirvana's usual 'bass owner'.

Patitucci also played URB on Jellyfish's Belly album.

9. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    :meh: :confused: :meh: :confused: :meh:

Nah...

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2022