Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pau Ferro good wood for fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by semborg, Jul 23, 2005.

1. I do not know much about this wood, is it hard?

Is it good to have on the fretboard on a fretless?

Better than rosewood?
    Close to Ebenholtz?

How does the wood look?
    Good?
    Bad?
    In between?

Share your experiences! :hyper:

2. Pau Ferro is IMO similar in tone to rosewood- warm & deep as opposed to bright & trebly like(again, IMO)ebony. BTW on a fretless or upright bass, it's a 'fingerboard', not a fretboard. ;) So, to answer your questions: It's hard, I like it on a fretless, I find it to be similar to rosewood(better? I don't know), I don't know what ebenholtz is, I think it looks like rosewood with(usually)more streaking- good/bad/in between? Again, I like it- I also had a couple of Ken Smiths w/Pau Ferro fretboards(fretted basses, so maybe not applicable, eh?)- I also liked them, aside from the string spacing.

3. Cool,
    Can I use rounds without eating up the FINGERboard? :smug:

4. No.

Unless the board is coated.

I however, choose to use round's even if they eat up my board. In a few years, I'll just have board taken care of by my local luthier. Maybe then I'll have it coated.

5. I used DR Black Beauties on my Rebop 5(rosewood 'board), thinking that the coating(on the strings)would minimise damage to the playing surface. I can't really say if it made much difference- I didn't play that bass as much as my fretted, & I don't have it anymore. You will find differing opinions as to whether or not rounds on an uncoated fingerboard are a good idea. I'm pretty much with marcusalan on this; I believe it will chew up the wood a bit- how much depends on how much you play, how hard you play, etc. I am willing to put up with the wear for the sake of the tone, which I don't think you can get any other way. I'm having a fretless built right now- it will have an 'acrylicized' fingerboard. Search up threads on that term for info.

6. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

My Peavey Cirrus 5 fretless came with a pau ferro fingerboard and they did only ship their Cirrus basses with the original Peavey Cirrus roundwound strings (stainless). I find that as long as I don't bend the strings, the fingerboard just resists the wear very good. Just play with the finger-vibrato-technique and your bass will hold for a long time.

/MrBaloo

PS! Ebenholz (swedish/german) = Ebony (english)

7. I have now learned something- nearly always a good thing. ;)

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I have a pau ferro f/b on my fretless. It looks good, and is extremely hard and smooth. It doesn't show any wear after 3 years or so.

9. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I won a KSD fretless, 70j,5er on thebay a couple weeks ago and the BG site indicates this bass comes with a ebonol board. It has a lined neck and it came with KS med lite rounds, it is new but was a floor model, a little use shows on p/g. This bass has very little mwah that I can detect. It came with a pretty high action, could that be why? I am taking it for a setup and to put some D'Addario chrome flats on Monday. Might this make a difference or will I lose what little mwah I hear by going to flats? Never played flats just wanting to try em or should I get some newer rounds with my setup? Anyone know how this surface can hold up? Nice bass overall though.

10. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    My fretless Modulus GVJ4 has a Cechen FB, and Modulus likens it to Pao Ferro in their written descriptions on their website. According to Tony Cimperman at planetbass,com (from where my intrument was originally purchased), Modulus delivers all of their basses (including fretless models with wood FB's) with D'Addario nickel rounds (EXL-165's).

I asked Tony how the chechen FB's have held up, and he said that because chechen (and perhaps Pao Ferro if they are indeed similar) is very dense and holds up extremely well to roundwounds.

The first owner (I am the second) immediately changed the nickelrounds to Labella Tapewound strings because he was very concerned about the fingerboard getting worn. I am going to try nickel rounds in the near future. I will let you know if I have any problems.

11. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    The high action would be your downfall Ernie. Low action, low relief and playing near the neck give you the most mwah.