Pau ferro, rosewood and a small question about fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wtf_is_a_bass, Feb 4, 2006.

1. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    I was flicking through a fender catalogue and i started reading the MIM basses page. And i noticed the Jazz 4 string has a rosewood fingerboard and the jazz 5 string has a pau ferro. As i flicked some more, i noticed no 5 string came with a rosewood and vice versa. Why is this? Because im a total noob when it comes to 5 strings

And one little question... what puts the "upgrade" in the 2006 MIM P bass upgraded? What is the difference from last years model other than colour choice?
  2. kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    This won't be of any help really, but pau ferro is rosewood, albeit a different species. It's real name is bolivian rosewood. I'm not into Fenders just thought I'd throw that out there.
  3. The new 2006 Fender are exactly the same, just other colours, and a free standard gig-bag comes whit the bass. I also saw on the MIM Jazz 5 that there is not just one string guide as before, there are now 2 stringtrees...
  4. momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I don't know about all of the dif's, but I know that pao ferro makes a sweet fretless board. I A/B'd it with some other rosewoods, and it is quite sweet for that. I can't imagine the fretted sound would be that much different though.
  5. I think the upgrade is that there are new colours, a gig bag, and American knobs, which is pretty silly.
  6. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Pau Ferro is a little stiffer than rosewood, but softer than ebony. As for the 4/5 difference, I think they're just trying to make the 5er a little more exotic. :D
  7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Rosewood (East Indian Rosewood is what they use) is from the Dalbergia family as all 'true' Rosewoods are and Pau Ferro is from the Machaerium family and has various nick names or trade names. See here;

Wood suppliers do not cut Indian Rosewood any wider than a 4-string width. Pau Ferro is cut regularly for 5 and 6-string Bass nowadays. I think that availability and price have more to do with it that anything else.
  8. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
  9. Fender is getting good with selling the same crappy product with the same name. I'm sorry if I'm offending some serious Fender fans here, but I just hate anything modern Fender. The "upgradeed" P bass is the EXACT SAME THING as far as sound and feel goes. And honestly, is american knobs that much of a difference? I think not... Fender on occasion will come out with something that shocks me, or on occassion I'll play a Fender that really touches me, but Fender is just not a copany for its customers. Its a mainstream company that sells poor quality instruments at mid-high prices to make more money.
  10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    • Fully Shielded electronics for reduced hum
    • Medium Jumbo Frets
    • Standard Gig Bag included.

pg. 121 of the frontline ;)

11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Looks like Mark Wilson and Ken Smith covered this one.

Frankly, I like some of the new colors that they offer, glad they shield 'em, and and frankly, the gig bags are probably crap. I like the nicer Fender gig bags, been using them for guitar and bass quite a while.