1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pau Ferro VS. Rosewood, The Truth!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rodslinger, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Rodslinger

Rodslinger Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
    Lol no doubt

gebass6 likes this.
  2. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Well THANK YOU. Indeed, just stain the silly thing if you don't like the color. I have a magic Strat with a PF board and everyone loves it as much as I do.

Rodslinger and CatchaCuda like this.
  3. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    It's merely a fingerboard. Accounts for about what, 5% of the total amount of materials on the instrument? Big deal.
    I like PF, have a few instruments that use it, including my #1, a 1997 US Jazz V Deluxe.

Rodslinger likes this.
  4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I never heard of anyone having a problem with Pau Ferro when it was used on Fender’s Roscoe Beck or Stevie Ray Vaughan signature instruments.

5. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    I have no problems with pau ferro's physical/tone wood properties. But I still think rosewood looks prettier. I like my rosewood as dark as possible though. If I preferred lighter rosewood I would probably be 100% happy with a NICE pau ferro fingerboard. However, many pao ferro fretboards aren't nice. I see at least 4 downright ugly ones for every nice one. Rosewood is more consistenly pretty for my taste, even if it varies in darkness.

It will depend on the color of the body too. In some cases I might actually prefer pao ferro but not if I'm going for a classic Fender vibe with classic Fender colors like 3TSB, Sonic Blue or CAR. With a natural finish exotic wood I could easily prefer pau ferro in many cases though.

Bassdirty likes this.
  6. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Fender CITES Changes - Rosewood vs. Pau Ferro Fretboards
    There is disagreement about the hardness. Most people stand by Pau Ferro (you know, Ironwood) being harder and brighter than most Rosewood.
    In terms of color and tone it is a poor replacement for Rosewood.
    It is too orange and the grain is kinda ugly.
    Fender can do whatever they want. I don't buy Fenders.

Rodslinger and ajkula66 like this.
  7. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    Pau Ferro feels worse and does not have the pourous feeling of real rosewood.

Rodslinger likes this.
  8. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Supporting Member

I prefer maple (bright cool!) over ebony (dark cool!) over rosewood (meh) over pao ferro (poopy) for my own aesthetic sensibilities.

But you do you.

Rodslinger likes this.
  9. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Stop hating on maple boards.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Rodslinger likes this.
  10. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    That's why it's the best wood for metal.

11. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Ebony is. It is darker!

Rodslinger and Vinny_G like this.
  12. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    None more black. :bassist:

13. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I think most Pau Ferro boards on Fenders just need a good dab of mineral oil (Fret Doctor, Dunlop Lemon Oil, whatever you're using) when they come out of the factory, but so do most of their rosewood boards too. I like my Player P Pau Ferro, and I like rosewood and maple fretboards too. I'm not too crazy about (usually) dark, smooth ebony, but I don't hate it.

Here's my bunch:
    IMG_3621.JPG

Pau Ferro is lighter, more red-brown than the rosewood boards next to it, and Stingray has a darker rosewood than the Sunburst P bass. To me they're all just different shades of pretty.

murphy, Rodslinger, Briton and 3 others like this.
  14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I used to dislike Pau Ferro too. But after applying some oil to the board, the wood can look rich and dark if you care for it. So now it's fine with me (still prefer maple though)

murphy, Wisebass and Rodslinger like this.
  15. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name.. Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    I couldn’t get a gig to save my life with my pau ferro bass. Somebody handed me a rosewood one out of sympathy and now the money is really rolling in. The audience says it sounds way better too. Go figure...

J-Mags, murphy, Frankula and 8 others like this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

you've attracted a few bottom feeders with your thread, but no one here hates pau ferro enough to do anything but give you some grief about your POV. fact is: everyone loves pau ferro. a few love rosewood more. looks are for kids. :D

:laugh:

17. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    I've been waiting patiently for the "but is it good for metal?" posts in this thread. Thank you.

Wisebass, dmt, Snaxster and 2 others like this.
  18. Rodslinger

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
    Exactly

Wisebass and Slater like this.
  19. Sure, look at most of the pictures in this thread or take a trip to GC and look at anything Fender has put out in the past year with it. It can look good... it just usually doesn't.

20. Rodslinger

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
    Lol quite honestly it is. I used it in one of my old metal project. But yeah, I’m sure someone will chime in with that one.
    lol there was a time I loved them. Then old age set in lol

Attached Files:

Gothic likes this.