1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pau Ferro VS. Rosewood, The Truth!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rodslinger, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    If I follow your reasoning and I take into account the possibility that you could be a little tiny bit subjective (that's a possibility), it's rather close to 97.4%, according to the latest study on the matter. That's why I find your estimate pretty exaggerated. :bookworm:

gebass6 and Rodslinger like this.
  2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Cool but my favorite flavor for fretboard is maple.;)

Rodslinger likes this.
  3. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    who? me? i'd have to start hating on pao ferro before i could stop hating on it. my stu hamm urge bass (hammy) wouldn't take too kindly to that.

Rodslinger likes this.
  4. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Glad to oblige! Here, then, is my post in a pau ferro thread from last year:

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I like Pao Ferro. You don’t. I win.

...... my rules.

6. jellymax

jellymax Don't fry any wooden fish Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    I prefer ironwood for metal

coyote1, Gothic and Rodslinger like this.
  7. Rodslinger

Rodslinger Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
    Lol. Yeah that’s what it’s coming down to.

8. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    Spoken as a believer in irrational tone crap.

Rodslinger likes this.
  9. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    There are rational reasons not to use certain woods in instruments, but since experienced builders know them better than the buying crowd and take them into account, buyers are left with aestethics as the only thing that really matters.

It doesn't prevent a large amount of them from thinking themselves smarter than the people they give money too, which is the greatest irony.

Hachimitsu Pie likes this.
  10. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    Uh, can you explain to me what is an irrational tone crap? :unsure:

11. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    It is beautiful. I love a nice fingerboard and it can really be part of a buying decision. I have seen many pau ferro fingerboards I liked but were absolutely not fitting the rest of the guitar so it's always a bit of a gamble. The same goes with jatoba, which also tends to be a lighter brown and won't fit with everything,

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Rodslinger likes this.
  12. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    No need.

Rodslinger likes this.
  13. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    Wrong maths. This the support of the frets, so it has an impact on the way strings will vibrate. Mounting frets on a rubber band would certainly produce dramatic differences. I wonder if someone ever did that just for demonstration purposes…

The reason pau ferro makes no significant difference is that no guitar builder would use a wood that makes one. They're all hard woods.

Hachimitsu Pie and Rodslinger like this.
  14. Rodslinger

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
    As I’ve delved into more literature on wood and contacted more suppliers I’ve come to realize that there is some trickery between suppliers and some things Mother Nature has on lock down like Indian vs. Indonesian vs. Brazilian Rosewood that starts to hurt the brain when you go down the rabbit hole. JANKA hardness for wood is the amount of pounds-force required to imbed a .444 inch diameter steel ball (BB) into the wood to half the balls diameter. Problem is that some suppliers dry and test the wood at 8% moisture content and some do it at 12% moisture content Etc. So On average Pau Ferro is actually harder than Rosewood. I was lead to believe the other way around by another supplier. Mike Born, Fender director of wood technology said in 2017 “Pau Ferro has a very similar hardness and oil content to rosewood. We know it’s got a good tone to it. And it’s got a nice, dark color.” Fender also used it exclusively on their 5-string Basses in the 90s just because it came in wider sections and it worked well. Anyway you slice it and glue it to a neck, personal opinion will outweigh anything else when it comes to fingerboard choice. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but to be honest as I play my two near identical bases side by side one Pau Ferro the other Rosewood I’m actually digging the rosewood fingerboard more. Go figure.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  15. Rodslinger

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
    I’ll definitely agree with you on this one.

16. Rodslinger

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
    Pau Ferro, East Indian Rosewood, Brazilian Rosewood and Madagascar Rosewood end grains X10mag

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  17. If Leo Fender had chosen Pau Ferro for the fingerboard wood instead of Rosewood on his 60s Fenders, there would be people in here moaning about how Rosewood boards aren't as nice......

18. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    Imagine if he had made his first guitars with pine... wait :unsure:

19. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Rodslinger :)

I like it!

True! :D

How much oil does it need to make maple look rich and dark? :laugh:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Nashrakh likes this.
  20. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    Then we go and practice looking as little as possible at the thing as we can while playing :laugh:

Rodslinger likes this.