1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pau Ferro VS. Rosewood, The Truth!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rodslinger, Nov 24, 2019.

1. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    Pao Ferro has one of those grain types that evokes very divergent responses, either amazing or hideous. I like it’s smooth feel better than rosewood or maple but as far as tone goes I’m more about the sum of all parts.

Rodslinger and steve_rolfeca like this.
  2. Handsome Dan

Handsome Dan Supporting Member

O

3. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    Exactly! That's why I've switched to maple (not endangered or threatened), which I previously didn't like, although I'd had maple boards before and on some level recognized that FB wood didn't make much of a difference. My all time fave fretboards though were Pao Ferro (Fernandes Strat) and Ebanol (Kramer bass).

Rodslinger and JimmyM like this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    As long as the body is black, I love maple!

Rodslinger and Shlabotnik like this.
  5. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    Or white, fiesta red, or cream. Most of the best colors have a 60s pedigree and look better with dark wood.

6. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    I noticed that too. It's either caffe latte for some or baby poop for others.

Rodslinger and invalidprotocol like this.
  7. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    And, what of Indian Laurel..?

Attached Files:

Garret Graves and Rodslinger like this.
  8. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    Rodslinger likes this.
  9. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Plus, according to that link, the bark is fire resistant and can be used to treat diarrhea... What's not to like? :D

...although Crocodile Bark is, arguably, a much better name.

Thanks. ;)

Rodslinger, Templar and Vinny_G like this.
  10. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Stage lighting can make a yellow bass look purple, but a bass player will be convinced that the difference between brown and a slightly redder brown is the thing that makes one instrument ugly and the other be desirable.

11. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    If you give up on appearance only:

Persimmon is also called white ebony for two obvious reasons. Especially, when we are already so used to maple's appearance. It would be a good substitute for ebony boards. Large pieces are rare, but I've even seen it made into backs and sides on a parlor guitar.

Osage orange grows readily and has free used outside of long lived fence posts. In sound quality, it is the closest to Brazilian Rosewood. But it starts out light colored and is supposed to darken with time to a similar darkness according to a luthier I am working with.

Rodslinger likes this.
  12. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Never heard of Indian Yanni. Thanks!

13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Fretboard wood be damned, those are some great necks! :thumbsup:
    Silly rabbit…TRIX are for kids!! :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Rodslinger likes this.
  14. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    ACD0F2B6-80EA-4A66-AE05-4C7BD1C9B0F1.jpeg
    Both MIA Fender Jazz Basses.

Both with rosewood fret boards.

Mic drop....

15. My '94 Fender Jazz V Plus bass has a Pao Ferro board.

I'm not going to like and say that I think it looks better that a nice dark rosewood board, but I don't dislike it

I actually found this bass in a pawnshop 2 yrs. ago for $204 out the door.

There was NO WAY I was going to pass on this great bass, just because it had a lighter board than I'd prefer.

The lighter board actually makes it stand out, good or bad ,from the all the other basses with rosewood boards.

Here it is:

23887953087_50746ac408_b.jpg

16. WI Short Scaler

WI Short Scaler Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    I just love that we have these posts that assure us what the "truth" is so we can all be reassured that a black or turd-burst brown body should have only a rosewood fretboard and a tort guard. That way we don't get distracted by all that pesky variety.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fair enough, but my wife says I'm a winter, so I stick with a black body these days because it's clearly the color I look best with, and I prefer the look of maple with a black body :D

18. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    Yngwie says that he plays a white guitar because he dresses in black, and the light color makes the guitar pop, so I'll go for white or cream with a maple board.

19. graphics1988

graphics1988 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    dingwallsuperpj.jpg Dingwall - Pau Ferro - its a bit darker in real life - but the patterning is 'Super". ;)

20. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    So much variation... My 97 J V is pau ferro, but rather dark...
    enhance.jpg
    Compared to my 83 El Toro's "rosewood," which may be some fluke or another less dark species. It's possibly PF, as it's a shade lighter than my J's PF... This has more light exposure, but next to each other, they are pretty close.
    enhance.jpg

Rodslinger likes this.