Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PAUL CHAMBERS BOOK

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by robertw, Aug 15, 2000.

1. robertw

robertw

Aug 14, 2000
    I'm looking for a book I used to see advertised years ago that contained about 50 Paul Chambers solos. Does anyone have it, know the name of it, or know where to buy it? He is on so many recordings and such a major influence on bass players past and present it would be surprising (except in the music business) if it wasn't still available.

2. Maybe you're thinking of Rob Gourlay's "Walking in the Footsteps of Paul Chambers"?- it's not solos, it's his lines to well known tunes. A great book, worth every nickel of its very reasonable price. A search through the TB archives here should find contact info.

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Do a google on Jim Stinnet. He is located in NH and has a webstore that sells his books. Including "The music of Paul Chambers"

He also posts around here.

Hope this helps,
    Dave

4. A note of caution: The book of PC solo transcriptions contains more than a few discrepancies when you listen along to the recordings. (Sorry, Jim. Maybe I have an old edition) Anyway, the point is if you're going for accuracy the book alone is not enough. You need to hear the records to understand the feel, nuances, and idiocyncracies. And to get every note right.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Jim also has released a book of PC's arco solos.

6. I have a book of Paul Chambers solos called "The Music of Paul Chambers." If you type that phrase into google, you get a bunch of places you can order the book from. It has 22 solos though, not 50. It's a great book to play from.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q="the+music+of+paul+chambers"

7. Well yeah, sheet music is just sheet music. This is a forum about sheet music. What do you want us to talk about?

The most efficient way to get the vast majority of the idea is to read through somebody else's transcription. This leaves time to get the vast majority of a great many different ideas. Should you choose to look deeper into one, doing your own transcriptions is great.