1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paul Chambers teacher

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Rob Palmer, May 10, 2006.

1. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer

Aug 29, 2005
    Suffolk, UK
    I have received information relating to the identity of the man who Paul Chambers was taught by at Cass Tech. I knew that the man in question was a member of bass section of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra but now know that he was of Eastern European origin and called Michael. His surname began with an R but that's al we have. can anyone fill in the blanks?? :rollno: This would have been around 1950-1954.

Hope you can help.

Rob

2. pjwolf

pjwolf

Feb 20, 2006
    Ventura, Ca.
    Rob, between 1952-54 there were 8 bassists with the Detroit Symphony:John Van de Graaf-principal
    Gaston Brohan
    Walter Hardman
    Frank Reeser
    Charles Baer
    Frank Sinco
    Joseph Kazakevich
    Albert Steger

I will try to find out for 1950-51....:cool:

3. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Gaston Brohan = originator of Oak Rosin. Not any help to your question but a name that popped into mind regarding my favorite rosin.

Ike

4. pjwolf

pjwolf

Feb 20, 2006
    Ventura, Ca.
    1951-52 Alex Lacey & Arthur Luck

1952-53 Reuben Jamitz

1953-54 John Mathews

I guess we're talking to the same lady @DSO....

5. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer

Aug 29, 2005
    Suffolk, UK
    The teacher was Gaston Brohan - the 'Michael' was Bistritsky, who was the orchestra teacher at the Tech. He recentlt died aged 102.... much loved by all accounts, unlike Brohan who sounds like a delight! :hyper: