Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul D'Amour - Ovation Magnum!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by geshel, Aug 13, 2002.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    So I was looking at the back of this Tool bootleg I have again today, trying to figure out what bass Paul is playing. Then I recognized it: It's an Ovation Magnum!!

http://www.williesguitars.com/Pages/magnumcl.html

I don't have a scan of the picture handy, but that's definitely it.

Soo. . . I wonder when he used this bass, and if he used it in the studio at all? This boot was recorded in 92 and 93, and his tone is great (no clue when the picture was taken, though around then definitely).

He's also got SWR cabs, not Mesa/Boogie.

2. I can't imagine him having used it on Undertow--that whole album is pure Rickenbacker.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    And Opiate sounds pretty much the same. Huh.

4. Maybe it was his backup bass.

5. he also played a stingray.

6. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    I'm pretty sure he's only used Ric's and Stingrays on the three Tool albums he's been on (Opiate, Undertow, and parts of AEnima).

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    He wrote parts of Ænima, but I'm pretty sure he didn't play on any of it.

8. .

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Oh, really?

10. Could you give me some information on Justin Chancellor, strings, bass, amp settings etc plz :D

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I suggest you search the archives, as that topic has been covered many times before. If that doesn't satisfy you, try creating your own thread so that people who can help you might see your request.

12. re. the tone of an Ovation Magnum, in a search of TB I found some posts from owners here saying it can sound like a Rick...

Barry Adamson used one with Magazine- he also used a Rick or a Rick copy.
    the tone on "Back to nature" by Magazine sounds vaguely Rick-like but not quite- I suspect it was the Ovation.
    [​IMG]

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. Given the pickup locations I was thinking maybe it could do close to the Ric sound as well.

I think it'd be pretty funny if it turns out Undertow, or even just Sober, were recorded with the Ovation.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I have played them several times and would love to own one.

They can sound very Ric'ish.

Peace
    Nick