1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paul Damour TOOL bass sound?!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by godswhip, Apr 3, 2006.

1. godswhip

godswhip

Apr 3, 2006
    i am looking for a sound for my bass close to what Paul Damour achieves on TOOL - Undertow....any help?

Mike

2. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Rickenbacker+Mesa Boogie. ;)

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Not to mention some slight overdrive and a plec.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Really what you need is a Rickenbacker, a Mesa, and a pick, but to achieve that without a Rickenbacker, try this.

-Moderately heavy pick.
    -Pick near the bridge.
    -Very trebly overdrive (not too much overdrive, but a lot of treble)
    -HighMids

5. i don't have anything to contribute to this thread but dig the sound damour gets so much i want to keep this thread alive! :) check out his new project at:
    http://www.feersumennjin.com/

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    ^ Checked out the site. Sounds :cool:

7. Bloodfist

Bloodfist

Mar 18, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    I used to be in a band that covered a lot of tool songs. My rig at that time consisted of 2 fender P-basses, a peavey mark six head, 410's and 115. The trick to getting that sound perfect was in the mid and high EQ's and the chorus. The chorus was areally big factor. Like I said that was my rig, now i'm a litte older and have a differnt rig, and we cover 1 tool song (46 and 2). Now I use an Ampeg SVT3 pro Head, Ampeg 410 - Hlf classic cabinet and a Spector legend 4 bass. I run a touch of chorus and I still get a sound that is by all means perfect sounding. ( a little flange at time helps to ). So to make a long story short use the flange and chorus, and you'll be right on it.

8. Billy Sacco

Billy Sacco

Apr 4, 2006
    I think he used an octaver on a few songs too. His harmonics are awesome though man that is the one thing I really want to cop from him. I can get really damn close with my Rick into my SVT into 8 inch speakers.

9. godswhip

godswhip

Apr 3, 2006
    it sounds like he has a bit of overdrive or distortion onthere though..thanks for all the help.
    i use a rickenbacker through a Sunn Concert bass and a Sunn beta bass with 2 2x15's and 1 4x10.im looking for a sound that is dirty or distorted but not fizzed . where ican keep the low end,distort but have note clarity.
    :help:

10. Billy Sacco

Billy Sacco

Apr 4, 2006
    Maybe a boost to overdrive your pre amp but mostly seems like you have to turn up deafeningly loud to get those real juicy overdrive tones. I heard a tool live show with paul and his sound was just blah. He was using a music man but when he turned on distortion it was just that default fizzy distortion.