1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paul Dana killed in Indy Car practice accident

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kibuddy, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    ABC just announced that Paul Dana died from injuries sustained from an accident with Ed Carpenter during this morning's practice in Miami.

Carpenter spun out going into a corner, and Dana collided with him head-on at over 200mph.

Dana was 30 years old, and this was his first year in the IRL.

Still waiting for more news on the condition of Carpenter.

Edit: Just found an article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=1&id=2384873

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    What a shame.

Not to diminish this loss, but I actually know a person by that name, so double the shock for me. It's been a bad week.

:(

3. i hate to hear news like this. i was a crewman in the busch series for a number of years. i was always a long wait after a wreck to hear from your driver and see the window net go down even if it was only a second or two. its a bad feelin to see someone get hurt in something you built. i feel truely awfull inside for his family and all the crewmen.

4. I just heard on the news that Ed Carpenter is awake and responsive. They haven't said what else may be wrong with him, but that he's still in serious condition.

Sad day.:(

Rock on
    Eric

5. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005

From what I've been hearing, Carpenter is expected to be okay. They're keeping him overnight for observation.

Dana's wife was at home when the accident happened. She had to be pulled out of a church service to be informed. :(

If it's any consolation to Dana's family and friends- he died doing what he loved. Hopefully the IRL can learn something from this accident and implement a new rule, or new safety gear, or something of the like.

Nobody's completely sure what caused the accident, yet. There's a good chance it was just a very unfortunate rookie mistake, though.

What a sad day it's been.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    As a crewmember with an IHRA Top Sportsman team, I share your feelings.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Absolutely horrible....my condolances to his family.

8. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    hus carpenter and dana??

9. There was nothing that could be done to prevent that crash. Carpenter spun out, and hit a wall. Dana simply didn't manage to dodge. There's no safety device in the world that could save your life from hitting a motionless object at 200 mph.

At least he died quick. I couldn't imagine what kind of pain he would have been in. Such a sad event.:(

Rock on
    Eric

10. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    That crash was pretty horrific... when I saw the replay on ESPN, it made me completely freeze in shock.

11. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005

Some guys were saying he could have slowed down at least a little bit at that point, but I'm going to have to disagree with them. When you're going 200 around a track only a few inches above the graound, there's not a whole lot you can do to slow down. These things don't stop on a dime.

I believe there was a safety device quite a few years ago that could have prevented this situation. The only problem was, it would have resulted in Carpenter being speared by the nose cone of Dana's car. Lose lose situation.

Hopefully another tragedy like this won't happen for a long, long time.

12. yikes...i just saw the video clip this morning and remembered this thread...that crash was nuts...i'm actually surprised Dana was the guy in the car that didn't spin out, i thought the guy you were talking about was the guy who spun out...i thought he took the brunt of the impact...its good to hear that he is alright though

13. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    The sides of an Indy car are pretty strong. It's the nose cone that tends to be a bit more vulnerable. Make it too strong, and you can pierce right through a car and hurt the other drive. Too weak, and, well... This can happen. It's a tough job to make these cars safe.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's sad.

There is discussion about why Dana didn't see the amber caution lights, which were turned on as Carpenter hit the wall. It should've given him maybe a couple seconds to slow down.

15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I know what the closing rate on a stopped vehicle feels like when I was racing at 100 MPH in a shifter kart. 200 MPH means things are happening awfully fast.

16. At 200 mph you're going the same speed as a war arrow or a pellet from a pellet gun. I doubt he even knew what happened.

Rock on
    Eric