Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul Denman's strings? (sade)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fresnorich, Jul 22, 2004.

1. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Anyone know what kind of strings Paul Denman uses on his stingray? I haven't listened to much of Sweetback, but I like his playing with Sade. Any info. on his set-up would be appreciated?

2. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Paul Denman has a couple of stingrays (fretted and fretless). As for strings, I'm not sure. He was in an old issue of bass player magazine, mag had Jaco on the cover. Check their site for a back issue. I just checked and you can email them from the site for the issue you want. You may want to check around for a cd called Sweetback. It came out a while ago and it's the Sade band without Sade. Similar sounding, atmospheric, some dub style stuff, a couple of guest singers thrown in.

3. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Paul Denman is having a huge influence on me as of late. I've been listening to SADE for years and his playing and groove are so incredible. I never get enough. I want to be that good. I'll look for this SWEETBACK CD. Got to have that one.

He's the groovemaster!!! :bassist:

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I agree - Denman is da man. Every so often, I'll put on a Sade CD and play along - just to vicariously absorb his grooviness ;)

Favorite tracks:

* Never As Good As The First Time
    * Paradise
    * Cherry Pie
    * Is It A Crime
    * The Sweetest Taboo

MM

5. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Oh yeah! Cherry Pie is a fave of mine as well.

I also like....
    Turn My Back On You
    Nothing Can Come Between Us
    Keep Looking
    Mr. Wrong

I didn't like their last CD "Lovers Rock" because it had too much drum machine and synth bass. (Love Deluxe had the same problem, but the songs were good) They need to do it old school like they did on the first 3 Cd's with Real Drums and Real Bass!

6. So, anybody know what strings he use(d)?

*waiting for the inevitably "it's in the hands" post, but hoping someone knows*

7. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I bet the strings have very little to do with his tone. For a hack like me, I'd start by cutting most of the treble. If that doesn't help and I still don't have enough booty, maybe try some flatwounds.

8. DIAMONDLIFE1

DIAMONDLIFE1

Nov 22, 2011
    I maybe late on this, but he uses Rotosound strings. I know this from personal experience of hanging with him in LA. He has to be one of the nicest people i have ever met........!!!!!

bmac314 likes this.
  9. DIAMONDLIFE1

DIAMONDLIFE1

Nov 22, 2011
    Oh man great pics....any song on the 1st three albums Paul thunder funks.....check out "Your not the man" off of the album "Promise"......he plays and upright and between Paul and Stuarts Sax solo.......that song was OFF the hook !!!!!

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Beautiful sense of air in his playing. Really the whole Sade band has such a wonderful sense of space. These guys really live the less is more thing...

11. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    He has played Rotos for as long as I can remember. I bet he leaves them on a long time, because he always has a low growl, and none of the clank of new strings.

Old Rotos on an old 2 band Stingray is a thing of beauty.

12. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Rotosound swing bass 40-100