Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul Gray (Slipknot)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by VS, Jun 20, 2002.

1. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I'm sure most of you have little interest in Slipknot. But have any of you checked out the very first Slipknot album,not the self-titled or "Iwoa",but "Mate,Feed,Kill,Repeat"(Unreleased,but downloadable)? It has some good chops on it and I recommend it to the metal goers here at TB. -Luke

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, Iv heard it. Its VERY diffrent from Slipknots other two releases. There are some pretty cool parts on it. Gray even solos slap style! Pretty well might I add. His tone is pretty...for lack of better words BAD on the solo though.

3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I agree on his tone,good slap and soloing,I like track 6 also,but his tone was bad. He play's Warwick's now,I'm not sure what he used on MFKR,but I'm not too fond of the second two releases. I just wish he used a better bass or something for the first album,it would have made quite a difference. Once again,good chops,but bad tone,not sure what the story is on that. -Luke

4. that ablum kick ass.it was released but its has diffent members the smapler played guiatar.do nothing bitch slap is a pretty good tune mite i say .iam off to see fritz the cat

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, he has a lot more reign on MFKR. Then again, I think that album only had 6 instead of 9 (it's been a while since I checked it out, I think it's collecting dust somewhere in my room...now I'm gonna have to give a listen)

And, actually, he's doing some nice stuff on both the eponymous and Iowa. I usually have the bass boosted on my speaker, and I can actually hear what he's doing most of the time. Not a bad bass player. No god or anything, but he knows what he's doing. Also, on Iowa, he has some cool parts on Iowa(Killers are Quiet), Gently, and Skin Ticket....well, at least he's heard, eh?

Oh, speaking of Slipknot...anyone hear "Bother" off the Spider-Man soundtrack? Proof that man cannot live on metal alone.

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  6. thats corey's stone sour. two very different bands.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I posted that on 6/20/02...today is 3/2/03. About 9 months behind the ball there, VF.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

It isn't THAT different, I listened to the rest of the album with the exception of Bother it sounded like Slipknot with the proper amount of band members.

9. I really cant stand the Slipknot stuff that I have heard other than "Wait and Bleed," but I am willing to listen if there is somewhat decent bass playing anywhere. Anyone have song recommendations?

10. After Forever

After Forever Banned

Feb 27, 2003
    Detroit area
    Dosn't slipknot have like 3 bassits??

There are 2 things a band dose not need.
    1) masks and makeup
    2) 9 people.......

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, in Mate, Feed, Kill, Repeat, he's pretty in the mix the whole time. Eponymous? Forget about it...

Newer stuff, (all on Iowa)

Iowa, The Shape, Gently, Skin Ticket.

12. they dont have any bassits if i can recall, I don't think any bands have a bassit actually. Unless theres some music genre I havent been listening to.

But on the non sarcastic, jack ass side Slipknot only has one bassist. I think you are talking about the 2 Percussionist. There is a drummer and some dude who hits barrels, and there might be one other guy. I dunno. do some research, make us proud.

13. You gotta remember MFKR wasn't exactly the best quality recording in the first place and so his tone is going to be majorly affected by that. However, Paul does pull off some pretty decent chops on that CD.

If you the listen to the first 9-member album, the bass is very disappointing in comparison - no imagination and in all honesty, I think it would be near impossible to come through with that many people! He does do a slightly better job on Iowa with a fill little fills coming through but nothing particularly thrilling.

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  14. he does what he needs. hes a great player its metal what he does fits and songs great for the songs.