Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul is a dead man...miss him

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hepdood, Jul 26, 2000.

1. hepdood

hepdood

May 5, 2000
    So I was at the bookstore today looking through all the books they had on music and bass players and such, and there was this book about the Paul McCartney death conspiracy idea, saying that he supposedly died in a car crash in 1966, and was replaced with a look-et-sound-alike. There's all this weird stuff on all the Beatles covers after that time pointing Paul out from the others in strange macabre ways. I don't think this is really too pliable, but it's interesting to see how much weird evidence fanatics have dug up.

Paul's a bassist, what do people think on't?

------------------

___ ___
    / \__/ /
    |hepdood =========(___)
    \ ___ \
    \__/ \_\

2. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    All I know is that threads titled "Paul is a dead man" freak me out.

-GM, also known as Paul

3. Even tho Paul McCartney played in the Beatles, doesn't make him brilliant. the group was brilliant but separately he has been up and down one hit here and there. But hey he has more money than we do and I give him full credit for doing all the things he's done after his wife's death. It shocked the world how he handled it, made it public.

agree? disagree?

------------------
    Del: ahh Woodstock, now that was a show.
    Garth: wow, you were at woodstock?
    Wayne:alright man, party on.What was it like?
    Del: Well it rained all morning and cleared up in the afternoon. I nearly remembered something else then....."

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I guess most of you are too young to remember the big "McCartney is Dead" rumors. This was about...1969, if I remember. Oh, special magazines hit the racks, and there were dozens of people finding secretly placed clues in the song lyrics and on the album covers.
    Just a randomly recalled sample: Grab the cover of Abbey Road. Clue 1: the license plate on the VW says "28 IF", which would have been Paul's age at that time, IF he were alive. The clothes each of the guys wears is significant to a funeral. I think they said that John was dressed as a grave-digger. Paul is barefoot, which is traditional for burial in some cultures. If you play "A Day in the Life" (i think) backwards, you'll hear the line "Paul is dead". The line "The walrus was Paul" from "Glass Onion" is a reference to death (some cultures use the walrus as a symbol for death)...the list goes on and on and on. Have to admit that as an impressionable 13-year-old, I was suckered by the whole thing at the time.

5. I think the main reason that Paul McC was 'singled out' was that the rest didn't really like him very much...

Andy

6. play "revolution 9" from the white album backwards, it repeats "turn me on, dead man." it's very cool. also there are many clues on sgt.pepper's album cover.

------------------
    we hope you are ok.

7. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    I'm too young to know this stuff first hand, but as a Beatles freak I think it is my duty to keep up with all these rumors and things.

From my understanding the whole Paul is Dead rumor was the subject of a paper a guy wrote in school. McCartney's car was stolen and later found crashed into a tree, the driver burned beyond recognition, in 1966. The cover of Pepper shows a fellow with a open hand above Paul. This is an Indian symbol of death, or something like that. If you put a mirror up to the drum it says "he die" and points toward McCartney (my brother got this to work, but I didn't). The back of Pepper shows "McCartney" turned around and some people thought this was a clue to Paul's death. However, he was sick that day and one of the engineers stood in. The Abbey Road cover is easily explained because one of the engineers drove his wife's car to work that day. It makes a cool story though, but I believe McCartney would have been twenty nine... People also say that the cover depicts a death scene. Lennon, dressed in white, is the Angel, Starr is the preacher, McCartney is the corpse, and Harrison is the grave digger. McCartney was the only one not wearing shoes, which is how a religion (not sure which one) buries their dead. The end of Strawberry fields has Lennon saying something that can be interpreted as "I buried Paul," though the anthologies clearly reveal him to be saying "cranberry sauce."

I've always thought of McCartney as brilliant (Biased? Me?? [​IMG] ), but I have been dissappointed at his post Beatles bass lines. He did a few decent things with Wings, but it seems as if his bass fell off the planet through the eighties. Does he want to be a bass player anymore? Just one more go at it man!!! That's all I want!!!

Like I said, all this is post facto. If any of my Paul is Dead stuff is wrong, please let me know.

[This message has been edited by NukeBass (edited July 27, 2000).]

8. -I give him full credit for all the things he's done since his own death...:D ;)

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Whew, i thought we were talking about John paul jones here... thank goodness. this whole "Not really him some look alike" thing sounds like a thing i heard about tom petty back in the day.

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Gosh, I thought the Paul referred to in the thread title is the one and only Paul who owns this web site! I was worried.:(

11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Could this be a record bump? The thread died over 2 years ago!! And it was brought back. That has to be a record....

12. I thought this too! :(

Viva Paul!

13. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

Anybody remember gm? He was the first mod of practically all the forums around BG. He was mod 2 days or so before me. I've been around here to long.........

Chris A.:rolleyes:

14. Don't worry, I remember that too. There's lots of ex mods that I remember.

Anyone remember White Knight?

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yes, how could I not remember him? I took over his moderating duties for 4-5 months.

And where's Stingray5 nowadays? Busy with the family?

16. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    yeah i vacantly remember those names, that must have been around the time i first started posting.

BTW i thought id throw this in here: i just got an ampeg!!!

luvs it all
    Later
    Lukas

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    There's a site somewhere about the whole Paul is dead thing, I read this page which goes through *loads* of reasons that people came up with why he must be dead - loads of clues on covers and in lyrics etc. Mostly pretty ridiculous (the 28 IF thing - Paul was actually 27 at the time!).

18. I posted a link to a "Paul is dead" - site in a thread called something like "Who's the most famous bassist ever". I got lots of replies from people who thought I was crazy! :cool:
    -However, I didn't find that thread now, but, here's a link: http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/paulisdead/
    Check it out !!
    BTW... -Of course, he had to be younger than 28 to say "28 IF"...

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've read this before and never understand it.

The bassline for Elvis Costello's "Verinoca" is one of Paul's most inspired ever IMO. Also, his playing (and songwriting but that's beside the point) on "Flowers In The Dirt" is brilliant, bringing out the old Hofner for a few songs and taking to the 5 string Wal like few. I find Paul's 5 string playing on that record to be very "Levin-esque" in it's extreme depth of tone and taste. Listen to "My Brave Face" and tell me that it does not represent some seriously amazing playing.

And his stuff in the 90s, Flaming Pie particularly, is equally impressive.

Paul never stopped being great, people stopped paying attention. :) At least that's my explanation.

Amazing chops for a corpse. ;)

20. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    No, the idea was that at the time the shot was taken, Paul would have been 28 if he had lived. However, he did live, and he wasn't 28 he was 27, therefore, had he died, he would have been 27 at the time had he lived. Except he did live. And he was 27. If you see what I mean.