1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paul Jackson - Gear?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bertramkevin, Aug 21, 2007.

1. bertramkevin

bertramkevin

Aug 16, 2007
    Montreal
    I was curious if anyone new how Paul Jackson (Headhunters) got that super sweet funky tone in the 70's when he was doing the headhunters stuff. i know i've seen pictures of a 50's tele bass and even a p bass too, but any insight on strings or amps?
    i also must add, that he is just the funkiest bass player i've ever heard, if you believe me - try to find Herbie Hancock - Flood (Headhunters live in Japan)
    seriously -

kevin

Pbassmanca and Lownote38 like this.
  2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I saw The Head Hunter group in 1975 in New Orleans. Ramsey Lewis opened for them. I'll never forget, Ramsey opened with Sun Goddess and Herbie opened with Hang Up Your Hang Ups. WOW!! I think I was the only white guy in the whole place.

He was playing a '70's P bass maple neck at the time. Don't really rememeber the amp but I want to say it was Acoustic.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you check out BassPlayerTV, you can see what he uses now: a really cool custom ESP with an extender on the E string that drops it to D like the Kubickis.

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    he started off using a 70's p bass. you can see him using it on youtube from a soundstage performance. towards the mid and later part of the 70's he used that tele bass with hi-a pickups. you can hear the tone difference on herbie's secrets lp.

5. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    word, that album is ridiculous. any single track on there (excluding maiden voyage perhaps) has more funk in it than most entire albums.

6. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    He used the 50's Tele bass to record and used the Pbass live. He talks alot about the 50's bass by referring to them as the Pbass with "two knobs" in his interview on bassplayer.tv .. Paul Jackson and Rocco Prestia used to room together I hear.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    +1 on Flood....one of my funk favorites.:bassist:

8. sricabla

sricabla

Jul 4, 2003
    San Francisco
    Recorded at the Automat in SF. Used a Fender Bassman with a matching Fender Cab. Flats, Fender P.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Paul does have a sweet tone. Great bassist.

10. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I dont think Paul used Flats...on his interview on bassplayer.tv he said he's always hated flats and used then rarely.

11. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    Joebone likes this.
  12. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    It's interesting about the 4 way pick up. Phil Lesh from the Dead had one on his Alembics during the 70's that he used to send each string to it's own stack. I also remember reading about Conklin building a rack box that worked with Piezo systems that would split 4 to 7 strings to individual outputs each with their own individual effect loops that plugged in via a 7 pin DIN jack. Victor Wooten uses one on one of the tracks on "A Show of Hands" (I forget which track) and Michael Manring has one in his hyperbass. I thought it would be cool to have one and mix one track in the center and have the rest panned like the drum kit mixed just low enough not to be distracting.

C/S,
    Rev J

13. Globalcheese

Globalcheese

Jul 22, 2010
    Has anyone got the instructional Video Paul and Mike did in Japan but without the Japanese VO? I want to get ahold of a copy. Very happy to pay if anyone can help.
    And true there is nothing on the web about Paul Jacksons bass rig he used Live. I want to know everything about that as well.
    What's the bass rig he's using in the instructional video? You can see it in the back ground. That tone on the vid is ridiculous as well. Brilliant.
    Anyone help? Thanks chaps.

14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH

look on youtube.

Lownote38 likes this.
  15. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

I wonder if anyone knows what year his brown P Bass with Maple neck is?

markjazzbassist likes this.