Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul Jackson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Pet, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    I've been recently listening to Paul jackson's material and i think he is so funky. I want to know more about him.

2. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    thanks a lot. It was very helpful.

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    There is also a great video of Paul Jackson out there. I have a copy somewhere. It is of him and Mike Clark of the HeadHunters Jamming and talking about grooves. Pretty awesome.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Brand new Headhunters' album(Evolution Revolution) due out on April 22...
    Hope this one is 'better' than the previous one.

Jackson is happenin'.

5. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    yo is Paul playing on thrust? if he is then he has become the funkiest bass player I've ever heard

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yup, he's the bassist on Thrust.

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The rhythm section on Thrust must be the most telepathic polyrhythmic funksters on the planet. Paul Jackson and Mike Clark are just so bad!

Alex

8. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Paul is my Jaco!

I've seen him twice, in '75 w/ Herbie Hancocks Headhunters and about 2 years ago w/ Mike Clark's Prescription Renewel

I'm psyched to hear about a new Headhunter's CD--i agree the last one was inconsistent.

What give's with the video described above?

the import cd "FLOOD" by herbie Hancock has some great mid seventies jazz-bass into an Acoustic 371 sound and tremendous funk playing.

Can't gush enough about Paul:D (Can't play like him either!)

9. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    A J-bass? I'd always assumed he used a P-bass and then went onto the Stingray-like basses he uses nowadays. His sound on Thrust is all about that P-bass honk and grit.

His groove is awesome - and unique!

Alex

10. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    My memory is old and foggy, but i recall on the back of the thrust jacket(or one of the records) it shows him holding a jazz w/ trapezoid neck inlays. when i saw him 2 years ago, he had a japanese brand of j-bass. anyhow, I think that cat could make a washtub bass groove:D

11. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Watspan,

The video is an instructional video of Jackson and Clark. I think it was filmed in Japan.(where Jackson has been living for a while)

It has a studio setting where it is just CLark and Jackson explaining and demonstrating grooves.
    There are some live tunes as well. They are playing in a club with a band and Jackson even takes lead vox for a tune.

It is really eye-opening to see how Jackson plays. I think he is the hardest-playing electric bassist I have ever seen. He REALLY digs in.

I took me a bit to find the video, but if you can get it, it is well worth it.

I have been also trying to track down a bootleg of Jackson playing in a two bass deal with Jaco Pastorius. (I think in Herbie's band) Can't seem to find it yet.

hope this helps
    Dave
    Hope this helps,
    Dave

12. Hmm--on the back of Headhunters, it shows him holding a maple-neck Precision with dot inlays.

13. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have seen pictures of him with an old Tele-Bass with silver pick-ups.

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I concur with Pete - that's a P he's holding on the HH sleeve.

And, listen to the bass sound on Head Hunters & Thrust - that's a P if ever I heard one.

15. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    like i said, old and foggy...:D

Got a '74 maple necked p-bass myself and i don't even know what the damn thing sounds like!!;)

Gotta track that video down! just read that Jaco plays a track on HH's "Sunlight" lp?

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yup! The last tune, it's called "Good Question". Actually, it's my least favourite on that album (not because of Jaco - I just don't like the tune so much).

Jaco also plays on a tune called "4AM" from Herbie's album "Mr Hands" - I much prefer that one to "Good Question" - and it is a much better example of Jaco's playing, IMO.

17. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    p basses up until around 76 or so and then he started using that telecaster bass with the added hi a (first version barts) pickups that can be seen in the video with mike clark.

18. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    In a book I have, 'How the Fender bass changed the world', it says that Paul Jackson used a Telecaster/Precision bass modified to include a pickup for each string. Four outputs then went out to four amps! :eek: Does anybody know how accurate this information is?

Also, I have a video of Herbie Hancock playing in the late '70s - doing stuff like 'I Thought It Was You', Hang Up Your Hangups' etc, and PJ (at least I think it's him) plays a white Yamaha BB -series bass with P/J pickups. He is constantly pulling the bass of tune and retunes between every song!

By the way, the live Headhunters disc, 'Flood' gets a domestic release on the Columbia Legacy label in May I believe - can't find the info on the Legacy site now though.

DB

19. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I've noticed that to when I try and cop his grooves I just have to REALLY dig in too, otherwise it jsut isn't the same. He started off as a double bassist which somewhat explains his tendency to pull the strings so hard.

Here's an excerpt from an interview in Bassist magazine:

For someone with a reputation of being a premium-octane funkster, Jackson still sticks to his bass roots: Chambers, Oscar Pettiford, Ray Brown, all the jazz bass legends, and the players that forged soul/R&B bass in the '60s like Chuck Rainey. Jackson doesn't do "flash", and rarely takes solos.
    "I hear a lot of the young bass players do amazing things, and I really admire what they do for soloing. But it's a different approach from my idea of The Statement. I don't slap with my thumb, I'm a fingerpicker, and I often play incredibly hard, I break strings all the time. There's so much you can do just from using the inner dynamics of the instrument. Within one right-hand position you have a great number of different sounds just by taking advantage of inner dynamics, there's a lot there. I don't take solos that much - on the other hand you could say that I play a solo all the time," he roars.

Jackson is also content with playing a 4-string bass. No thoughts of adding that 5th string? "Why? You don't often see upright basses with five or six strings. For the functionality of the instrument, you rarely need those low notes. My thing is more a control thing, to control the continuity. I often use the African kind of call-response in the way I play." So how would you describe in words your role as a bassist? "Oh boy... How about as the rocks on the bottom of the river? They're put there so that you can cross the river safely through the whirls although you can't see them all the time."

He da man!!!

Alex