Paul Jackson's ESP on Deepest End DVD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by watspan, Jan 30, 2004.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I've been trying to find out more about the esp bass paul jackson uses on chamaeleon on gov't mule's deepest end dvd--i've searched esp's site and googled for paul, but no luck. It's a pretty intersting instrument--a 1+3 headstock; it also has a neck which gets wider above the 12th fret, on the g-string side--i assume because he does a lot of note-bending in the upper register. It also seems to have some extra hardware at the tail-end of the bass--maybe extra strap mounting spots? any input would be appreciated
  2. somewhere I read that it is a custom bass that ESP made for him... Looks great doesn't it??? :bassist:
  3. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I believe a found the bass you're talking about, it is custom made my ESP, they have lots of pics at the japanese esp website.

the direct link to paul's bass is

They have 3 different basses at the website, they one you're talking about I believe is the one at the bottom of the page.
  4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I like the D tuner à la Kubiki
  5. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    It looks as though the third bass on that page is actually a 5-string. The fifth string doesn't start until the twelfth fret. If you look closely at the pictures, you can see that the ball-end sits just inside the neck, the string passes through the bridge and bends at a right angle. The tuning key for the fifth string is on the side of the body near the straplock.

6. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    thanks guys--that last bass is the one i was describing--i didn't realize that was a fifth string with a tuner near the straplock--wild! and a synth circuit! Paul is one funky cat and probably the most exciting bassist i've seen in concert. :)