1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paul Jackson's Tone from Telecaster Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slapfunk987, Apr 1, 2015.

1. slapfunk987

slapfunk987

Feb 8, 2011
    I'm trying to figure out what exactly is on Paul Jackson's bass that makes it sound the way the way it does. The link to his Telecaster Bass called Geraldine on his website shows pictures and gives a brief description but I can't tell what I'm looking at.. It says there are two Hi-A P Bass Bartolini Pickups that I can see but the gray piece protruding from the bottom right of the bass has a lot of stuff on it and I don't know what I'm looking at. It looks like it has a direct out or in. And it also looks like there is some type of long black piece that connects to it that is just above the bridge. I wanted to know what that was as well. If anyone can help elaborate it would be greatly appreciated....

The Official Website of Paul Jackson

2. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    He has a synth pickup (Roland) by the bridge and a whole mess of craziness.... Some fat pups in that sweet spot probably had a lot to do with the sound.

Keep in mind this is PAUL MOTHERFUNKIN' JACKSON! He is one of the funkiest dudes to walk the planet and his hands are pretty huge & gnarly (I've seen videos where he utilizes callous/nail sounds to get a really pointed attack).

I'm sure I could hand him a Daisy Rock bass and he would do some serious work.

Snaxster likes this.
  3. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    The midi pickup looks more like the Yamaha unit rather than a Roland actually.

4. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    No onboard volume, tone or pickup selection at all, it seems. All tone decisions deferred to mixdown.

5. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    I love the concept- almost like the "Bootsy" bass. Cueing up some Headhunters!

6. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Though the OP's question was a fair one, I'm afraid that this is the only answer that matters. :)

Brother Goose likes this.
  7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Read the description more closely. One mag pickup has a mono output, the other has individual string outputs, probably via the two xlr jacks. That way each can be mixed, eq'd, compressed, and recorded separately. Then a midi out, which is really another quad output. So there's at least 9 signals coming out of that bass.

Looks like a replacement body too. No routing for the factory volume and tone pots.

8. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Without engineer Fred Catero's considerable engineering skill and incredible ears, Paul's bass might just as well of sounded like doo doo. I can't imagine the nightmare and stupidly of the complex rack system and making that quad output work live either. Stars Guitars trashed a lot of great instruments.

9. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Wow. Had me fooled. On the album cover and on some on the concert clips of that era showed him with a walnut/ maple necked P bass.