Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul Mccartney, a second Rickenbacker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well then, I was scouting the web looking for pictures of Paul playing his illusive Fender jazz bass when I came around this...

[​IMG]

This picture comfirms that Paul indeed got a Fender Jazz bass when the Beatles became Fender endorsers in 1968 (you can tell it's a Jazz from the Block markers) but far more interesting in this picture which comes from the mid seventies during the Wings period is that it shows that Macca owned a SECOND Rickenbacker. I never knew that, and am now searching for pictures of him playing it.

2. Im not a Beatles person and therefore dont know much about their history...but why does it matter how many Rics he owns/owned?

Seriously :confused:

3. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well, Macca WAS the guy who made the Rickenbacker 4001 a "MUST HAVE" And he's almost always seen with his Stripped Mid sixties Ricky which he got during the Beatles' second tour of the USA (although he never used it onstage in those days, preferring his Höfner basses because of their lighter weight) But when he began using it in Promo movies such as the "All you need is Love" sattelite broadcast there suddenly was a run on Ricky basses. People like Chris Squier (Yes) admitted that Paul got them into playing rickies.

[​IMG]

But no book about Macca's works mentions that he had another rick in the seventies. it's always the stripped one.

rtav likes this.
  4. Maybe its one that belonged to the studio? or was on loan?

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Maybe he was a multi-millionaire and could have as many as he wanted of whatever he wanted?

The second one was probably a tour backup. I've seen Wings concert footage where there were masses of necks and headstocks seen in stands on the side of the stage.

6. paul mccartney? millionaire? not the paul i know...

i would actually just guess it was the studio's bass

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Well, sure, now he's a billionaire. But back then he was a measly millionaire.

8. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA

Nah, man, a left handed 4001 was pretty rare in them days. Yeah, yer man Lemmy almost definitely got his Ric because he saw Paul play one...yeah, that's it, McCartney invented Hawkwind one night after a jazz cigarette...so it's vital information we're discussing here.

McCartney is the new Lennon.

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    In actual fact Squire got his 4001S 'cause he was a huge John Entwistle fan.

nerkoids likes this.
  10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    seeing Squier in a suit, and young is alittle freaky:p

11. Whats even more freaky is that in that pic he looks exactly like Entwistle ;):D

12. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    THAT'S THE OX!

13. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Non other! He's the reason I play bass. I've always loved that photo. Everyone should have his new book.

14. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Check out the book "Beatle Gear" it list every piece of equipment the Beatles ever used or owned. and it is a must for every Beatles fan and even better if your a musician.

David T

15. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Besides, Squire had more of a penchant for capes and sequins and fuzzy boots when he was young. ;)

16. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Macca with a Fender Jazz bass:

[​IMG]

I have seen another decent photo of Macca in the Wings years playing a sunburst Jazz (may have been a RH model flipped over and restrung) - can't find it online now, though I think it has been shown on Talkbass before.

17. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    I know I'm responding to an eleven year old thread.....

The second Ric is a fretless and belongs to Paul. This photo is from the "Back to the Egg" sessions. The fretless was used on two tracks on that album.

18. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Sir Paul has said on quite a few interviews that he's never had to pay for a bass.

19. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Actually, McCartney has possessed several Rickenbacker basses over the years. His original, an early 1964 4001S (back then, it was noted in factory terminology as a "4000+1") which he received (finally) in the summer of 1965. The fretless is an early to mid-1970s model, as evidenced by the central shedua strip ("skunk stripe"). According to John Hall, one of the first 4004C Cheyenne basses was a lefty given to PM in 1992 although I don't know of any photos of PM with it. Then there is this photo of PM with a rare lefty five-string Rickenbacker 4003SPC Blackstar:

Paul McCartneys 5 String Rickenbacker Bass | TalkBass.com

Which ones PM still owns/has/uses is up for discussion, although his original is surely still with him.