Paul McCartney Concert!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by paniak17, Sep 19, 2005.

1. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I'm jealous. I waffled for a few hours decided if I should spend that much money on concert tickets, and by the time I decided this would probably be my last chance to see an actual Beatle, Detroit and Columbus were both sold out.
  2. I went to the show 3 years ago. By far, the best concert I've ever been to. I couldn't justify the expense this year.
  3. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    ugh you bastard! I'm so jealous. I wish I had the cash to see Macca. Maybe I'll resort to seeing Ringo
  4. flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    I had tickets to see Macca when he was coming to Melbourne in 2002. I live in Sydney, and the ticket-package cost $931(Australian). This included the airfare and accomodation - the actual concert tickets costing $500 (hey, they were basically front row). This was back when I had some money.
    He never showed up. He dogged it. I guess because he was completely buggered from his US tour.
    Boy, was I glad he did. I got all the money back, and can honestly say that I will never pay that much for a ticket again. After attending a Bruce Springsteen concert I realised that the location of the seat does not hinder your enjoyment. Springsteen's concert was at the SCG(Sydney Cricket Ground), where a friend of mine's father was a member and was offered tickets before the general public. These tickets were still pricey ($150), but they were in the member's section, which was slightly more comfortable than the regular seating...although it is the furthest possible point one could be from the stage. Still, it was the best concert I've been to, and one of the most fun nights I've had.
    The point of the story (I had a point?) is: go for the cheaper seats - they are just as fun.
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm jealous. He sold out the MCI center in a matter of minutes. I wanted tickets but went online a half hour after they went on sale. :bawl:
  6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  7. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I saw him on his last trip through America, and it was absolutely AWESOME!!
    The best thing was that he had a great young band, and he was right in there with them, energy-wise. You had the sense that you were seeing an immortal composer still having the most fun being a singer/bassist in a rock 'n' roll band.
    Also, he played lots of Beatles music. It seems as though he's comfortable with it now, and just wants to make the fans happy. (Although "happy" may be the understatement of the year.)
    He hasn't lost a bit of his voice, either. Really amazing.
  8. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I agree that it is amazing that he's kept his voice. And he still smokes, too, doesn't he?

From the videos I've seen he plays mostly Beatles music with not nearly as much post-Beatles stuff as I personally would want to see. I'd like to see "Silly Love Songs", "Junior's Farm", "Hi Hi Hi", "Letting Go", "Uncle Albert", "Young Boy", "No More Lonely Nights" and "My Brave Face" much more than "Hey Jude", "Get Back" and "Yesterday" for the fifty millionth time each.

That's why I'm not that dissapointed, I know he won't play enough of that great Wings and solo stuff to make me happy. I'll just pull out my CD of "Wings Over America" again.

Looking at that setlist it's like he doesn't even barely acknowledge his post-Beatles stuff hardly at all. I mean look at the list.....
    Come on, "In Spite Of All The Danger" acoustic? Why not play "Somedays" from Flaming Pie, one of the most beautiful songs he's ever written. And his fans would rather hear "Till There Was You", "I'll Get You", and "I Will" than "My Love", "Helen Wheels", "Silly Love Songs" and "Coming Up"? I really don't like it when artists fall into the whole nostalgia thing and take some of their best work for granted. From what I've read it seems like Sting's done the same thing.

I mean, how many times do we have to hear the ponderous "Hey Jude"? "I'll Follow The Sun"? Are you serious? That song effing sucks compared to great stuff like "Hi Hi Hi" and "Junior's Farm". I wish there was a DVD of "Rockshow".
  9. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    You see, the thing is that for years and years he wouldn't perform ANY Beatles music, apparently because he was trying to establish that he was viable without them, or because it was still too soon after the painful breakup, or whatever. I'll trade you 10 "Uncle Albert"s for 1 "Hey Jude!"
    To me, seeing him without "Hey Jude" would be like seeing Aretha without "Respect."
    Well, to each his own... I think we can both agree that the problem comes down to the astronomical number of fine songs he's written-- there's just not enough time for everything!
  10. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That was just about 6-7 years. When he did the "Wings Over The World" tour in 1977 he played Beatles songs. He's played plenty of Beatles songs on every tour since about 1977.
    But there's enough great songs for him to not play the same songs over and over again every tour. And some of those songs he's picked from the Beatles catalog in the setlist above are not what I'd call "great". I don't know if he could pick many worse songs from the catalog than the dreadful "Till There Was You". I mean, why play a really bad Beatles cover when you could be playing "Junior's Farm"?
  11. Think of this, he's got 40 years of stuff to play. He's one of the most prolific and successful songwriters in history. He can pick and choose from some of the greatest songs in history. Paul knows he wouldn't be anywhere without his stint in that one band.

Abraham Laboriel Jr. is one of my favorite drummers ever.
  12. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Okay, I stand corrected on the history of him playing Beatles songs. But he has changed the setlist somewhat. For example, when I saw him, he played "Hello Goodbye" and the conclusion of the Abbey Road medley ("Carry That Weight" through "The End"), and played "Something" on ukulele as a tribute to George.
    I'm with you on his choice of new inclusions. "Till There Was You" (originally from "The Music Man" by Meredith Willson, of course) is a very odd choice, for example.
  13. flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    I gotta tell ya, looking at that list, In Spite of all the Danger, and I'll Get You were the ones that most excited me (along with Too Many People and Helter Skelter) just because thay are such odd/fun choices. I wouldn't miss Till There Was You 'though, if he ditched it. He should do She Said Yeah or Lonesome Town if he wanted to do a cover. He should add I'm Down.