1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paul McCartney...good lord!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by drewsky2004, Mar 29, 2011.

1. drewsky2004

drewsky2004

Dec 29, 2010
    I haven't listened to the Beatles in a while, but I gotta say I recently did and wow...Paul McCartney does some pretty crazy ****! In "I Want You", it almost sounds like he makes his bass, moan and groan, just goes perfectly well with the eerie vibe the song gives. I need to look up some youtube videos to see just how he does these things. If anyone has some links to some good videos, tutorial, cover, lessons or live videos, please share!

2. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    Sir Paul is pretty fly for a white guy LOL

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yep, he picked up a LOT of tricks by listening to Jamerson's playing on those early Motown records... :cool:

MM

4. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    One of the all-time greats, give a deep look into the Beatles catalog, especially Revolver-Abbey Road and you will hear much brilliance.

5. The best thing about Paul McCartney is his collection of Wal basses :bag:

6. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
  7. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Paul McCartney is the most successful, inspiring musician/bass player/song writer/singer also in the most successful and inspiring band ever on this earth, artistically and commercially (I think he is the richest bass player in the world).
    I always love all his bass playing, sound, note choice, tone, timing, etc...Oh man, is he a real human? LOL

8. I was told it was Roger Waters, could be wrong though , it was a while back.

9. McCartney was a pick player for the most part, I'm pretty sure he used one on "I Want You." It contributes to the evenness of those trilled descending lines.

10. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Yes I think they're both 'up there' so high somewhere... LOL
    But anyway basswisely I prefer Sir Paul more than Mr.Roger (no offence at all for Mr.Roger fans as I admire him too :) )

11. No arguments from me. I have loved this bass line. Even before I could play bass, I still cant do it justice. I always fumble somthing. :bawl:

12. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I agree that Paul is a phenomenon. Hard to match those tones, that's for sure. I never wanted a Hofner violin bass, though. But I sure got a Gretsch guitar because of George, heh, heh.

13. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Oh yes, he started playing some decent lines once he ditched the dumb Hofner & Ric!

:^D

14. ben12390

ben12390

Jul 5, 2010
    he effectively implied the use of left hand piano method into his playing.
    he was a piano player first, guitar second, bass third (out of necessity since Stuart left back in Hamburg). but he didnt take it as a burden. He took what he knew of the left hand bass method, and used it in his bass lines. making them fun and poppy and upbeat in the early years. from then on, he just got more and more creative, taking in the Motown sound, the Avant guard movement, and some guitar skills.
    he might not be able to out play the likes of Wooten, or Sheehan, or Burton. but he can out write, out sing, out play, out musician any of them. he was a huge influence on every bassist of the time, and still is. he's my biggest reason why i play bass.

listen to Taxman, Paperback Writer, Rain, Golden Slumbers(for just solid tone and note choice), Drive my car, hey bulldog, and even I saw her standing there. He just plays what the song needs, and leads it from time to time.

every bass player should be able to appreciate Sir Paul, i dont care if the only music you like is drone metal.

just my $.02

15. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    dont forget his voice, one of the best ever there also

16. Rockmusician

Rockmusician Inactive

According to Salary-Money.com, Paul makes $158,333 per day, roughly $19,791 per hour and is worth over $1 Billion. I doubt that there is another musician who makes even half of that.

17. 7615

7615 Guest

Nov 19, 2015
    I knew bass playing was a good paying job!!!!

18. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm not so sure. I saw him for the first time last year and at 74 he put on a great show. He played the Hofner when he wasn't rocking on his Les Paul, and when the rest of the band took a break mid way into the 2+hour set, he did a solo portion of acoustic numbers (Blackbird etc.). He sang so well that I heard someone accuse him of lip-syncing.

He's darn near ageless.

19. Even assuming that information is reliable (I would be surprised if he is actually a billionaire), McCartney makes a lot of money from sources other than his own music, such as his music publishing business. And I would assume most of his money is in investments which have probably done quite well over the last decade.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021