1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paul McCartney - Memory Almost Full

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by markdavid, Mar 16, 2008.

1. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Im loving this album. Not just a good album from a Bass players point of view but just an awesome album in general.
    Some very good tracks on here , some of his best in years in fact . Goes without saying that the bass playing on this album is awesome as well , Paul's tone is fat and warm. In short if you like macca you'll like this

2. cranberrysauce

cranberrysauce Banned

Mar 20, 2008
    Almost every Beatle solo recording since the dawn of the 80s has seriously left much to be desired (a new way of saying.. they sucked). For the most part anyhow.

Of course, George Harrison's final album, Brainwashed was brilliant, and McCartney's 2001 album, Driving Rain had several bright spots. And yeah, Ringo's early 90s single "Weight of the World" was nice as well.

I'm so reluctant to buy this album, because of albums like "Flaming Pie" and "Off the Ground", although both albums had a hint (only a hint) of the genius that is Paul McCartney.

Could you imagine some of the cheese John Lennon would have released had he lived, though? I can only cringe at the thought of him singing about W and Iraq.

3. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I call shenanigans on the above statement. All Things Must Pass is awesome. Plastic Ono Band (the album) is phenomenal. Klaus Voorman on bass on both of those. I also happen to think that the first McCartney album and Ram have an album's worth of greatness between the two of them.

Then again, I named my first child Harrison after George, and I think "Temporary Secretary" from McCartney 2 is a work of genius, so I'm not the best person to ask.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think "Flaming Pie" is one of McCartney's 4 or 5 best since the breakup of the Beatles. I like it a lot better than Memory Almost Full. Much more finished songwriting.

5. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Read it again, he said since the dawn of the 80s, so your examples are moot.

6. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Ah yes, sorry about that. Alright then, I think "Flaming Pie" has some great songs and his last three albums are quite good as well.

7. cranberrysauce

cranberrysauce Banned

Mar 20, 2008
    George, IMO, had the best solo material in the 70s. Probably because he had such a huge backlog of songs that Lennon and McCartney didn't let him put on their last couple albums. Imagine if Abbey Rd. had featured My Sweet Lord and several of the other gems from All Things Must Pass. Lennon and McCartney would not have been able to restrain Harrison any longer had they stayed together.

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    John and Yoko back in the 70s produced a album that was truely a cacophony of unpleasant sounds
    ... I think it was plastic ono band live in Toronto or something ...

I have the DVD "The McCartney Years" ... I am enjoying it ... I enjoy it the most when he plays the Rickenbacker ... it sounds much better than the Hofner ... and i like when he plays the 5 string wal bass ...

:hyper::bassist:

9. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Funny, this album really is devisive. Some love it, some hate it. I hate it. It iss my belief that McCartney hasn't really made a good record since the Wings.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You need to give "Flowers In The Dirt", "Flaming Pie", and "Tug Of War" another listen. :) Though I share your opinion that his best "solo" material is the Wings years. "Band on the Run" and "Venus and Mars" are both completely brilliant.

11. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    They made more than one that fits that description, God love 'em. At least "Live Peace In Toronto" had side one with John, Clapton, Klaus Voorman and Alan White playing Money, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Yer Blues, etc. it's side 2 where Yoko does her thing all over you. Personally, I'm not afraid of ugly, atonal music, but it sure ain't "Dear Prudence"

By the way, just have to brag for one second. My birthday is coming up in a couple weeks, one of the big ones, and I have studio 2 at Abbey Road booked for the day. Hopefully, i'll be able to stop sniffing for Beatle dust long enough to actually record something. I'm very excited, can't wait.