1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paul McCartney was 2018 hip before there was a 2018

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by two fingers, Nov 29, 2018.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I forget what internet rabbit hole got me to this pic. But it struck me the moment I saw it. This person in the pic could step onto any stage today and look perfect. His style then is the style now. The hipster beard. Nicer clothes for men are making a comeback. Longer hair is making a comeback (man bun not withstanding).
    macca.

Now, I get it. Styles go in cycles. Macca wasn't ahead of his time. That style just came back around. But this is a stark example of that. That person above would be at home in a horn band, an edgy new grass band, a stylish pop rock band, etc. today.

I'm not really sure what made me think this was thread worthy. But here it is. :D

Part of it is that I'm growing my hair back out (and my beard). I haven't decided which direction I'm going to go with it. But I'm letting it grow while I figure it out. My hair is jet black and thick (at 47). I might have to grab a little Just For Men for my beard though. :cool:

Just my pre-coffee blathering for the day....

12BitSlab, Winoman, leonard and 28 others like this.
  2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi twofer :)

You are right! :D

Being young never runs out of style! :laugh:

greetings

Wise

3. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That's probably a big part of it. :cautious:

:wacky:

Wisebass likes this.
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I remember in the eighties I was on a date with a girl who was telling me my look was "dated." I was wearing jeans, boots, a button down shirt, and a LEATHER VEST.

She was wearing leggings, big hair, a poodle skirt and a blouse that buttoned asymmetrically.

5. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Something that should never have gone away.

You want to wear pyjamas all day? do the world a favour and stay home.

Also don't forget the vintage shortscale bass (with flats), those are pretty trendy right now as well. And jet black at 47? I'm 29 and have quite a bit of gray around my temples.

6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I literally shot coffee out of my nose when I read that. The 80s in a nutshell.

Artman, Jimmy4string, rmayer and 2 others like this.
  7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My beard is greying a bit, especially around my chin. But both my grandfathers died with a head full of jet black hair (with a few thick grey hairs sprinkled in that you could only see up close). My father had black hair in his 70s. So, yeah, hair isn't an issue. But the beard.....

Also, I graduated high school with a guy who had a bald spot on graduation day and graduated college with little or no hair on top. Genetics.... for better or worse.... are unavoidable.

winterburn69 likes this.
  8. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Same thing here! :)

Enough black hair to fill a mattress and beard in shades of gray. :D

At least we won' t run out of salt and pepper! ;)

Wise

JRA and two fingers like this.
  9. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Genetics! yep! I also knew people in high school that were balding, or mostly bald before 25 or so.

While I'm still full up top I've accepted that I'll probably never have a decent looking full beard.

Artman and two fingers like this.
  10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I'll take the hair over the beard any day, personally.

two fingers and lfmn16 like this.
  11. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I'm a visitor from the DB side, 71, with all my hair on top, although it is now very gray. At a bar gig, if someone points out my gray hair, I correct them: "It's not gray, it is arctic blond." Always gets a chuckle.

12BitSlab, JRA, rufus.K and 4 others like this.
  12. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Man, I wish I was able to grow my hair long and also grow out a beard. I like the look.

I have been with the same company for 29 years, started when I was 18, they prohibit facial hair and long hair for men. Not only that, tattoos have to be covered as well with long sleeves even in hot summer weather.

I have a full head of hair (48 years old) and can grow an amazing beard, full and thick, but alas my bread and butter profession won’t allow it.

I guess when I retire in 7 years, I have to wait until I’m 55, I will grow out my hair and beard. Until then I can only wish.

two fingers likes this.
  13. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Tell me about it. I am enduring my fifth iteration of the ripped jeans phenomenon by co-eds at my University. Once was enough.

mikewalker, FilterFunk, Helix and 2 others like this.
  14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My daughters are 6 and 9. It's a thing right now for sure.

15. dvlmusic

dvlmusic

Jul 24, 2010
    Alameda, CA
    I had exactly the same thought a few years back when The Beatles got on iTunes the first time. This image was on billboards in my area, and I couldn't help but think how both modern and timeless all of their looks are here. This could be a current/young band as much as it is a classic rock classic.

TheBeatles.

16. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    ^--- George looks great in that photo! :)

wmmj and two fingers like this.
  17. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah that's a cool pic.

18. Other than Paul, they look like a street gang...but still cool!
    6AC08C55-63E2-488E-AB95-FDD211C5B6B9.

two fingers likes this.
  19. B-Lo

B-Lo One day I'll figure out how to play this thing... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
  20. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    They were a street gang, really. One you know you were just too dorky to ever join.

two fingers likes this.