1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paul McCartney's bass lesson for beginners.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, Mar 27, 2013.

1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I love these videos for beginning bass. I have been playing off and on for several years but never learned until recently that you could actually sometimes play some songs using simple Quarter Notes like he does in this video. So this video, though it seems basic, was helpful to me. I had always thought that you needed some "syncopation" in most modern music. It's funny, because this is much simpler than what he does in most of his songs and so it's not really what I would call the "McCartney style". I guess he chose to pick one of his songs that had a very simple rhythm and line.

What do you think of this simple quarter note rhythm? I'm surprised how often it can be used since I've done it in some parts of songs recently. They don't all need a syncopated line (using 8th or other notes).

2. I've used that video to augment my answers to newbe questions many times. Roots and click tracks work.

Most of everything I play is 4/4 time, a few 3/4 waltz tunes and then some straight 8's.

I have for years used fake chord sheet music, which has no time signature shown. So I follow the lyric line. Why? Take a look at some standard notation music that also has the lyric line. There will be one note for every lyric syllable, i.e. thus one beat for every lyric syllable. Little slack here, most of the time.....

Hap-py gets two beats. As does birth-day. The word "to" gets one beat and "you" gets one beat.

Following the lyrics and having the kick drum in my left ear, seems to work for me. And yes a lot of music is not really that complicated.

3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    I think the word "lesson" is a bit of a misnomer here.....more like a "demonstration". :bag:

4. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Yes. I kind of wish he would go into more of a true lesson, especially for a person with any musical background. But I still think it's cool.