Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul Motian trio

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by oliebrice, Jul 4, 2005.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    The new Paul Motian trio album "I Have the Room Above Her", is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. Paul on drums, Bill Frisell on guitar, and Joe Lovano on tenor.
    no bass, but very, very highly reccomended. Its on ECM. review here:
    http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=17162

2. interesting, i really like the "jazzy" side of bill frisell, wich is always very atmospheric and somewhat "dark", his timbre is also great.
    paul motian's playing is one of my favorites, lot's of melody and musicallity on those drums,as if he knew what to put in the music at the right moment.... not sure about lovano, but i think i'm gonna get that record...
    thanks for the info

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This reminded me - I'm off to Jazz Summer School in less than 2 weeks now!! :)

So, last year I spent most of the time with Martin Speake (alto Sax) as tutor for our small group - he has worked with Paul Motian and he played us a few recordings and we did some Paul Motian tunes - I still have the charts - photocopies of the handwritten originals - some really nice stuff!!

For one of the tunes that we played in the evening Jazz Club, we were augmented by an electric viola player and it was a sort of open improvisation based on the tune, but with no chords...very interesting to play as bassist.

I think it was called "It should have happened a Long Time ago" ...?

4. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Bruce, any chance I could get copies of those charts? Paul Motian is one of my favbourite composers...
    also, is it Glamorgan you're going to? if so, see you there!

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I'll be there on 24th July - I think Howard K is also going !! :)

I'll bring along the charts I can find - I've got piles of these things from previous years!