Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul Nicholas Bryant, Gliga Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassmith, Feb 26, 2002.

1. bassmith

bassmith

Feb 26, 2002
    New York, NY
    Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge about DBs made by either of these luthiers, especially in jazz playing?

2. bassmith

bassmith

Feb 26, 2002
    New York, NY
    Thanks, Ed.

Bassmith (Location New York, NY)

3. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    What a timely inquiry from my standpoint!

Steve shipped me one of his Bryant basses today, and I should have it tomorrow night. I'm really excited about getting the chance to try it.

BTW, while I've never met Steve face to face, I've spoken to him and we've sent emails back and forth; he seems like really good people.

Example: I gave Steve my price range when we first started talking; some merchants would take the high end of your range for an item, and start showing you things from that price UP. Steve has been strongly encouraging me to consider instruments BELOW the bottom end of the range I gave him, because he thinks that's where I'll best meet my objectives. That's such a refreshing approach to marketing!

Whether or not I end up buying this bass, it's been a lot of fun dealing with Steve, and I'd recommend him to anyone.

4. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    Ed, I play only classical music, no jazz (yet!). I love jazz, but I don't know how to start, never having improvised for a second in my boring life. If it's not wrote down in front of me, I don't play it...

The model I'll be picking up (in about two hours) is Bryant's Gabrielli model. I have been playing a 1900 Pfretcshner flatback with a low C extension (wanna buy it?).

As for an mp3 of me playing it, it's a long shot. And if I made it, you wouldn't want to hear it. I first started playing during Nixon's first term as President, but hadn't touched a bass in over fifteen years until about a year back. I've had to start over from the beginning, and it's a good thing, too; what technique I did learn back before most of you were born was all wrong...

Get a good teacher, from day one.

5. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    FYI, Steve Koscica is in Phoenix and plays in the Phoenix Symphony. I dealt with him via e-mail for a long time although ended up finding something locally so I didn't purchase from him. He seemed very helpful and reasonable in my exchanges with him.

Adrian

6. I bought my bass from steve in Arizona and I couldn't of asked to be treated better. He showed me all of his basses that he had and played them for me so I could hear them from a better place then right on top of it. The were well set up and fairly priced. As for the Bryant basses I didn't like them all that well. They were a little to scratchy for me and not so good on the pizz end. I ended up buying an old tyrolean bass from steve about the same price which was a lot darker in tone.

7. CBFinet

CBFinet

Nov 11, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    I too bought my bass from Steve Kosica. I lived in Phoenix until I moved up to Flagstaff for school this year, so it was convenient to have a good dealer so close. I've had good luck with my bass so far... I bought by 1823 Wagner 3/4 German flatback back in March and I hadn't been playing long. He was very helpful in pointing me in the right direction for a bass that would be versatile enough to be used for jazz and orchestra. I spent a few hours on several different occasions just looking over his basses and found mine for $8000, which my teacher says is a great deal. A couple other students in the bass studio at NAU have basses from Steve at about the same price and have done well with them. :D

8. I live in maine and it was even worth it to fly out to Arizona!

9. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    There is a thread in this forum "new Romanians" started on 12/6/2002 that refers to Gliga basses. i have one and am very pleased.