Paul Reed Smith Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ishmael_the_god, Nov 27, 2002.

1. So I wandered into my old hometown's tiny guitar store a couple weeks ago, and picked up the first PRS Bass I had ever seen. Two weeks later, I score one off ebay for the best price I could possibly imagine.

If you haven't picked one of these up yet, don't ever pass up the opportunity. Not only is the craftsmanship incredible, but it sounds like a monster. I'm not plugging PRS, I just wanted to say that this is the most fantastic bass I have ever played, and I highly recommend it to everyone looking to make an investment.

Has anyone else picked one of these up? They are amazing!! Comments?

Take a look...
  2. They sound fine, but I don't understand why they only have Volume/Volume/Tone controls on an Active/Passive bass.:confused: I'd rather spend my money on other basses.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm glad you're happy with it.

I've played a couple of them, and I've never been that impressed. I guess I just expect more for $2400.
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I owned PRS bass #114. Tobacco sunburst over tiger maple.
    I thought i would love the bass, but I could never get used to playing it. In fact, I hated it. That was in 1988. I am not impressed with his current offering though I am glad you like it.:) To each his own, eh ?
  5. odie

odie Supporting Member

It would be more raved about if the price was equal to what you get for it.
  6. The Bass has a Maple Flamed Top, Gold Hardware, Inlayed Birds. I snagged it for a hair over $1100.

I figure, worst comes to worst, I can sell it for more than I paid for it. As it stands, though, I love the thing - it sounds amazing.

I'm still figuring out the Volume/Volume/Tone knobs. It does seem a little unusual, but I've already found a crazy range of tone out of it. It can range from a growl to a very warm jazz tone. And it plays like a dream.

When shopping around, I compared it to a Musicman Stingray, a Fender American Jazz Deluxe, Tobias Growler, Modulus Quantum 5, a Kawai bass (which was actually second choice on my list), and several other basses not really worth mentioning. The PRS blew em away.
  7. They don't do a whole lot for me, but I'm sure it's a real nice bass.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I sat down with one in a local shop, unplugged. It had comfortable playability and nice resonant tone. But (as others have said) it just didn't do anything for me, especially at that price.

I hate to say that because PRS is in my neck of the woods and I know some of the guys. I do love their guitars. Part of the issue for me is that the visual vibe that works so well for their guitars just doesn't work well for their basses (just as there are a number of luths most renowned for their cool basses whose guitar offerings are blah). It's all a YMMV... I'm sure PRS has more than one happy bass customer...
  9. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    It's good to hear that someone is happy with theirs, because so far all I've heard is that most folks ain't diggin' them.

If you're happy with your purchase, that's all that counts!
  10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Robbie Shakespear loves his.

Thats good company IMHO

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Kudos to Mark for the encouraging words. I, on the other hand, am a jerk. I hate 'em! If you got a great price, then I'm happy for you if you like it. The store here in town that carries them won't come a dime off of list because they are "too collectable". :rolleyes: To me they seem to be designed for the wealthy PRS fanatic who wants to have a bass around should the urge strike him. This, of course, is all entirely my opinion.
  12. if there were a vomiting smilie I'd use it now....PRS sux, overpriced and Mexi- Jazzes play better IMHO

EDIT:Let's keep the profanity out of the posts, m'kay?? Misspelling it doesn't make it OK.
  13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I hate PRS basses. i have no idea why they are OVER PRICED CRAP.... oh wait... IMO.....
  14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Nothing like a gross generalization. :rolleyes:

For $1100, my interest in the PRS bass goes up a great deal. That sounds like a much more reasonable price for one.
  15. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    congrats on the new bass!
  16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    SWEET JESUS!!! have you PLAYED these basses? their about as deep as a can of tuna! DAMN THE IMO DISCLAIMER! .......ok... IMHO......
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Never liked 'em. I expected a lot more of PRS.
  18. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I can't say I ever liked PRS basses.. the older 80s ones however IMO are much superior to the newer ones
  19. I've got one in my shop, and I cant hardly give it away. It's a reasonable bass, but has faults, such as the active/passive switch "thumps", the edge of the fingerboard and frets is sharp, not rolled like a good bass should be.
  20. The PRS guitar's have absolutely the most beautiful tone I've ever heard for a guitar IMO. I don't know how they missed the target with the basses.
    but I'm glad Ishmael got a good deal, the list is riduculous. sounds gorgous with the inlays and quilt, but they need to give you more options in the electronics dept. before they win me over.