Paul Reed Smith?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dnozzle, Dec 9, 2007.

1. dnozzle

dnozzle Guest

Oct 15, 2007
    Denver
    any PRS love out there? prsbass' fretless that was in the sale section made me pull mine out again. the neck is great. it's an '87 solid mohag set neck that is currently 2nd in the line up behind my warwick. come on, here's mine, i wanna see some more PRS bassessessessss...

IM000991.jpg

2. TK-421

TK-421

Jun 26, 2007
    Denver
    Holy crap! They make fantasy status guitars but I didn't know they used to do basses.

3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Here's an 89 that I have, I like the older ones.

[​IMG]

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

PRS basses have never caught on.

I feel kind of bad because Paul grew up about a mile from me and I knew him when he was just getting started. My brother bought a pre-factory PRS (killer guitar!), and I wanted to support the up-and-coming local guy too, but I just wasn't crazy enough about the PRS bass to pony up all that scratch for one. Oh well, he's done just fine without my help. :p

6. bluestarbass

bluestarbass Guest

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I used to buy all my gear from the PRS dealer in town. I was always impressed with their guitars. One day he got a few basses in and was really trying to get me into one. I dont think ive ever played a bass I liked less. It seemed like they just put 4 strings on a guitar. For what you pay for those things you better love them, and I didnt. I really like p basses and musicmans though, which they arent even close to.

7. JimS

JimS Gold Supporting Member

In an interview Paul admitted the basses were a weak point and not that great. Good for reggae but fairly limited. I'm referring to the basses made in the lat '80s.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

This is very true. Mine is of the 3rd wave of basses they made...it's active, and has two pickups, unlike the late 90's passive two pickup model. The one that looks like a 3 pickup model is in fact a 4 pickup model, with an invisible dummy coil.

The action is nice, but the preamp in mine is awful and the fit, finish and appointments are extremely weak for a bass that listed for over 2200$.

I bought mine new but fairly shop worn for about 700 bucks.

9. JKT

JKT Guest

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    Interesting. I too, did not know that PRS made basses. Not the most attractive looking axe I've ever seen.

I just recently read an interview with PRS, and he sounds like a very smart guy. Strange that he would put his name on something less than stellar. Amost like a lack of respect for the electric bass and bassist.

JKT :meh:

10. simongpaez

simongpaez Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Honestly I connot find a better guitar than PRS, even Gibsons or Fenders.
    Feel , Quality and Tone is just killer, But haven't played a bass.

11. They had an unusually wide neck, as I recall. If you grew up playing an old P-Bass you'd love it - I did.

12. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I have no pix (I know, no picture, no bass) but mine is an '89 Bass 4 in solid blue.

I think it's a wonderful bass; the preamp is an odd duck, as it doesn't offer much in the way of tone shaping, but it does deliver a huge clear low end that gives huge reggae tone out of less speakerage.

I like the contrast from the Fender style instruments I usually play in that it's very clean and tight all the way up the neck, and the flatter FB radius is fun to play.

Paul Reed Smith has said he regrets not developing these basses further; he hasn't exactly scored with the current line-up.

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I know a guy with an old PRS bass. Very very nice!

14. Hoover

Hoover Inactive

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Fascinating. I remember reading a review of these late-80s basses by Craig Anderton in which he effusively spooged all over these instruments, going so far as to say "the Paul Reed Smith is the 2nd best bass I have ever played in my life"

(...with the 1st best being an original Steinberger L-series.)

I always wanted to check one out after reading Craig's review, but they sort of disappeared shortly after I read it.

15. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass, the final frontier... Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    IMHO the difference between PRS guitars and basses is large.

I kinda got the feeling that the guitars took off so fast that the bass got left in the back shop and never got the development that it needed.

16. ColonelZulu

ColonelZulu Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'm pretty sure Michael Manring used one a ways back. I'll have to check.

17. Gary Grainger plays PRS. Has a signature model. He sounds pretty good.
    Scofields Loud Jazz Album is a good example.

18. Yes, a fretless cherry-red Basic 4.
    I picked up a cherry sunburst Basic 5 bolt-on in New York City about 10 years ago, and have since played it on about 1,000 gigs as well as every time I've gone into the studio. It's OK.;)

19. dnozzle

dnozzle Guest

Oct 15, 2007
    Denver

sa-weet!!! i prefer the control layout and set-neck on the older ones as as well. nice maple cap! these really are great basses. that being said, i'm just in love with my warwick through ampeg...

20. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I heard Gary play live in Chestertown and he sounded great. I bicycle past the factory regularly and wish he had something besides the $3500 Gary Granger model.