Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul Rogers: Listen

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Silversorcerer, Nov 21, 2005.

1. If you think you'll just put this on in the background while you do your knitting, re-read the title. There is only one way to digest this and that is by paying full attention. The recordings are solo, live, spontaneous improvisations that move from the explosive to the melodic, to the rhythmic, to just about any noise, sound, tone, effect that can be made on a 5-string double bass.

Note to the more conservative listener: This is music at the edge, on the fringe;- over the top. Personally, I think free improvisation is too often an excuse for not being able to remember your bass part and is an area where most musicians do not produce coherent results. It is particularly challenging to keep the attention with only one instrument and particularly when that one is a 5-string DB.

Rodgers treads a fine line between music, sound, and noise, but he always seems to be in control of where he is and what he's doing as well as the direction his playing takes. The true art of improv like this is to not get lost while you get lost in it. There are some passages that beg for a little more continuity, but for the most part Rodgers keeps the flow without letting it get stale.

While I don't listen to this every day, I know I'll listen to it again. I know that Rogers has since recorded a rather substantial amount of improv work with the Paul Dunmall quartet, "Listen" being an early solo performance release. While this is worth the "Listen", I am interested in hearing more of Paul Rogers in the quartet context where he must also react to the ideas and sounds of others as well as his own. Also some of the latest recordings feature a 7-stringed double bass, which is bound to expand the boundaries (if such a word can apply here) Rogers leaps at.

Recommended for the adventurous eclectic listener, this is a UK import only CD (http://www.emanemdisc.com/). You will not find it at Walmart. Guaranteed. And it takes some time to cross the pond so it will have that mystique of something you must wait for.

2. Just thought I would revive this thread as I know there are others who have interest now in this performer who might share or recommend other recordings which he has played on.

3. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    This is one of the best solo bass cds ever. I listened to it yesterday and I was incredible. He has a previous solo called Heron Moon well worth tracking down. His recent work on the 7 string ALL basse is some of my favorite music.
    He has a burly sound on both instruments. It is improvised music but it is very melodic and played wiht extremely solid technique.
    I just can't wait for a solo on the 7 string...

4. Damon, do you have any of his ensemble work that you might recommend? Some of the earlier CD's are not real easy to track down, but worth the search. It took me a while to find Listen.

5. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    There are about 6 CDs on the Cuneiform label by the group Mujician, which Rogers is a member of. I'm with Damon: Paul Rogers is amazing, and Listen is one of his best.

He's on a slew of discs. Most of them can be found via downtownmusicgallery.com

6. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    As Reuben says, Mujician is stellar, he is on a ton of discs with Paul Dunmall.
    http://www.efi.group.shef.ac.uk/musician/mdunmall.html

One of his best, and one of the best free improvisation trio cds is "Open Paper Tree" on FMP with Rogers, Le quan Nihn and Michel Doneda.
    http://www.efi.group.shef.ac.uk/labels/fmp/fmpcd68.html

7. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oh man, I didn't know about Open Paper Tree. I love LeQuan and Doneda, so clearly I need this.

Bye-bye money...

8. Thank you all for the recommendations. I haven't bought any new CDs for a while and I am not tending to replace what I have on vinyl. So for music that I prefer to hear these days, you have given me some great leads. I certainly wish there was more music being made like this. I have for many years participated in an improv quartet and more recently a trio, but it is difficult to find serious and talented musicians locally that really want to explore this territory. Here in Atlanta, we have the Eyedrum venue, which is not bad for a local venue. If any of you visit Atlanta, I would encourage you to check out what is happening at Eyedrum. They do have a web page and google gets you there as fast as I can find the link. If you know of venues in your cities that host music that is pushing the envelope, please post these. There are so few of us in this territory that an international community of artists and venues is perhaps an idea that might help bring this music to more people.

Once again thank-you. I was feeling a bit lonely in my appreciation for this music.

9. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey Silversorcerer, yes I know Eyedrum. Great people play there from time to time. It's not exactly right in your backyard, but you might keep your eye on what's happening in North Carolina, specifically in the triangle, and in Asheville. Some great things happen there sporadically.

There's an impressive grassroots effort in most of the US to present this music, and if you look hard enough you'll find it.

It's sadly out of date, but you'll get a few leads from this database, created by experimental percussionist LeQuan Ninh:

http://www.improvdb.info/