1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paul Simon Surprise

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by tightbidness, May 11, 2006.

1. Just curious if anyone has given this album a good listen yet. It's receiving rave reviews. Apparently the album is a collaboration with Brian Eno and features Pino Palldino and Abe Laboriel on bass.

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    What's the name of CD??????

3. Johan B.

Johan B.

Apr 27, 2006
    Paris - France
    +1 !!! Didn't ear anything about a new CD

I knew he was on Saturday night live recently, someone have seen him ? Is there any record of his performance ?

4. Some details here:

"Six years after his last album, ´You´re the One,´ and 20 years after his masterpiece ´Graceland,´ Paul Simon returns with the bouncy lead from his upcoming new studio release, ´Surprise.´ Kicking off full force with a spunky funk groove and breathless vocals, ´Outrageous´ is a funny tale about a vain, middle-aged man who ´does 990 sit-ups a day´ and paints his hair ´the color of mud.´ The song´s biting hook (´Who´s gonna love you when your looks are gone?´) has a sweet melody, echoed by crushing guitar chords and an unexpected, soul-wrapping bridge. ´Outrageous´ is not a radio smash, but it is original, showcasing a unique voice that still radiates with pureness and clarity. Even so, we expected more experimental soundscapes from Simon´s collaboration with avant-gardist Brian Eno (U2, Talking Heads)."
    Billboard magazine

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have it. I'm still trying to decipher it. Not your typical PS type record! I fully expected the usual 'world music' type stuff he's been doing for the last 20 years! Honestly, he may get a new audience with this one and his usual audience may not dig it!

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I agree though. his voice still sounds young and fresh on this!

7. I heard some of this the other day, playing over the house sound system in a Barnes & Noble. What I heard sounded pretty interesting--some beautiful melodies and interesting grooves and sounds. I haven't picked up a Simon album since Rhythm of the Saints, but I may have to give this one a whirl.

8. I think he's performing this Saturday, May 13, on SNL with Julia Louis Dreyfus as the host.

9. Thanks DWBass, Mike, and Richard. My interest is piqued. I may have to pick up the album.

10. I got it today after listening to it at the store. Sounds fresh with some catchy lyrics and Paul's voice sounds as fine as ever. The musicians are all top notch and it is very interesting the way Eno has treated and deconstructed the space. So far I've heard in on a boom box, head phones and now the good speakers nice and loud and I am still hearing new textures and dimensions.

11. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Definitely gonna have to check that out. Paul is the consumate artist to me. Never compromises his integrity or artistic vision, and he manages to not suck as well. Those don't always go hand in hand.

12. Mergz

Mergz

May 15, 2006
    I saw the SNL show and I liked the first song a lot - good and angry, a la Neil Young. I love it when the old-timers can show the young pop world what rock is really about - angry, anti-establishment lyrics are always welcome in my house.

13. I saw the SNL performances as well. I could be wrong but I think the band included Steve Gadd on drums and Bakithi Kumalo on bass. I particularly liked the song where they sang "Who's gonna love you when your looks are gone."

14. Thanks man. I appreciate it. After a listen through I'm going to go out and buy the album.

15. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm enjoying Surprise. It definitely sounds like what it is -- a collaboration between Simon and Eno. I've been a fan of Paul Simon since "I Am a Rock," which is a long time.

16. I went ahead and bought this the other day. I'm liking it. A lot.

17. A superb album. Has Eno stamped all over it. Especially if you've given Eno's 'Another Day On Earth' a listen, you'll know exactly what I mean. Some nice twist and turns, with great melodies and lyrics.