1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paul Simonon

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TravTrav, Jan 16, 2012.

1. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    I would be most grateful if anyone were to know what his rig is.

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'd be shocked if it wasn't SVT all the way... :meh:

MM

3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    The only thing I'm aware of him ever using other than the SVTs was the crappy little amp he had just as the Clash were starting out. Other than that it's pretty much bass--> amp.

Basses were mostly Precisions, one of which he's had since 1978, though the first record was done with a Rickenbacker, an Epiphone Rivoli hollowbody was used on some of Sandinista and London Calling, and a Wal was used for part of Give 'Em Enough Rope (their second album).

4. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    Cool. Figured it'd be pretty basic. I should've known SVT, though.

5. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    Oh and rather than start a new thread, does anyone know what amp Peter Hook used during Unknown Pleasures?

6. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Pretty sure Hiwatt for Hooky.

7. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    FWIW I seem to recall Paul used 2x15's under his SVT head. Dunno where I saw that but it's stuck in my head.
    One of my fave bassists. Every time I go back and listen to The Clash I hear some new little subtlety in his parts.

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    2X15 was pretty standard at the time.

9. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Jul 16, 2009
    Utah
  10. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

Aug 12, 2011
    Paul simonon's sound mostly comes from his coolness hahaha. but you can get close to with an old p bass with old roundwounds on it. for peter hook, he used a rickenbacker copy on the 1st album, and yamaha p bass (dont know what model it is) on the second. both are great records

11. Sorry to resurrct. Hooky used a sunburst Hondo Rickenbacker 4001 copy into a Marshall 100 Watt head.